See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Friday, July 1, 2011

When the trials of life get you down

When the trials of life get you down, the old saying is to whistle a happy tune. (I was never good at whistling). Other's say, set your mind on something else. I say think happy thoughts.

So what is getting my goat? Don't have any goats--it's another old expression that means getting me frustrated. Ants...We have had a rainy season and wouldn't you know, no matter how much I clean this house, empty trash cans, rinse all containers, and take the measures to prevent bug attraction, they find their way into my home. That means of course, that we must have a nest somewhere of those black carpenter destructive-nuisance-type ants.

Yesterday, I saw one after another following each other on my white kitchen wall. The exterminator will come next week. I went to the store to pickup ant cups, which I have placed here and there, over the back door particularly, as that is where they have been spotted, once again, as in years past.

The family next door has a collapsible pool right next to my deck. I know that ants like water, so that is where I placed the food that attracts them, hoping that they will bring the substance to the nest in order to destroy it.

It is time for my vacation as everything seems to be magnified, at this point, making a mountain out of a mole hill. The winter was especially hard, then came horrendous storms, including the tornado, which is uncommon for our area. Planting is done, now to keep the critters from destroying our gardens. Life is a constant battle here in New England. Come to think of it, it's everywhere you go. People living in warmer climates certainly know what insects are like. Some do not even have the garden snakes that are present in my back yard, but the real venomous type. Yesterday, I found a tick on my living room rug, and I don't even have pets.

Today is gorgeous, I think I'll go out soon. I can hear the birds that surround my home, the finch and wrens, which are so colorful especially the yellow ones. Their song is always so joyful and it makes me give thanks for the little things in life.

Just the other day, I was taking my grandson out of the car, and because it was pouring, I placed an umbrella over our heads. He immediately started to show his delight as the drops hit the cloth. I wondered if he had ever been under an umbrella before, truly enjoying this moment with grandma. Nathan and I have spent many such days, with the canopy overhead swinging and enjoying the day, especially in the rain. Now, it appears Ryan has a lot to look forward to... the chocolate chip cookies, carriage and sled rides, and his first birthday cake. He will need to cut additional teeth, and soon he will take his initial walking steps, alone.

Life is full of cycles of all type. We learn to accept the good with the bad. The shortness and goodness with each of the seasons, and their constant change. I appreciate the small things, like ice cream and flowers, friendships, and children's laughter. Soon we will pick blueberries and see fireworks and of course it will be time for the church festival. So much ahead and crammed into so few summer days.

Humor is one of life's greatest medicine. Our oldest grandson taught us that on Wednesday, when we got together for dinner to celebrate birthdays in June. He simply said, "Do you want to hear a joke?" We thought that funny. Clever for a five-year-old. I hope someday that he will learn to tell great jokes. A sense of humor just may get you through the many trials that life throws at you.

Wishing you all sunshine....laughter.... and a wonderful 4th of July.

No comments: