See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Returning the Favor

Today is just one of those days that you sit back and pause to recall the wonderful day you had with the boys yesterday while the parents were still on vacation. Weather wise it was sunny and perfect for the pool. Up at the crack of dawn was Nate, who knows how to entertain himself with the DVDs he brings along, usually action series--appropriate for his age. He loves to eat and has such a good appetite. On the other hand, Ryan likes to sleep in. Yesterday, he wasn't really too hungry in the early morning but sure made up for it during the day. In fact, it seems all I did was feed both of them all their favorite foods.

I had time to make a vegetable lasagna which took up a great deal of my time in the kitchen chopping up fresh garlic, shallots, green beans, zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, carrots, spinach, and celery. The kids like most kids wanted chickens with ranch as little Ryan calls it with cukes, tomato and pickies. If they eat well, out comes the treats. Nate always wants vanilla ice cream, while Ryan likes whipped cream, especially in his chocolate milk. They love chocolate pudding and Ryan prefers a fudgesicle instead of ice cream. I've decided that Ryan, who also ate most of my cheese loves all dairy especially the yogurt made for children. Neither of them care for lasagna, that was for grampy.

The kids rode their bikes in the morning, then it was time to fill the pool in order for the sun to warm the water for play later on. One of Ryan's favorite activities outdoors is to water the flowers. Yes, he waters the flowers NOT the base of the plants, every now and then taking time to water the flowers (weeds) in the grass. Nate is all taken up with the butterfly's which are abundant this year. As the season progresses there are new blossoms, which do not go unnoticed by almost three old Ryan. He calls me to see them, saying beautiful. Nate and Ryan waisted no time getting each other wet, and then, Nathan enjoyed playing in the sandbox, just as he always has.

Ryan has an appreciation for beautiful things, like uncle Yo's shoe. It is a sneaker planter in the garden which reminds him of his uncles sneakers. His uncle is not Yo but it is a pet name Ryan gave him when he was just a baby. The boys were so happy to be with Uncle Yo and Aunt Jean at the concert on the common, Sunday to hear Celtic music while we had a little picnic.

Nate spent a good deal of time watching the Cardinals at the bird feeder. He has always loved watching the Wrens feeding their young as well as the colorful Finch who have filled our yard with lovely song.

My husband, John, has created for me a lovely environment with many fruit trees and roses, gardens which wrap around a swing, a paradise which the children and I have enjoyed. Just yesterday, after swimming, I wanted Ryan to nap. He placed his blanket on the swing, and wanted me to sit on it with him. He wants me to be with him all the time. Surprisingly he started to sing me two songs, all he could remember, something about buying me a mocking bird, rocking chair, and diamond ring. A song his mom sings to him. Then there was baa-baa black sheep have you any wool. A sweet little voice he has. His brother sings well too, but rarely. Nate never thought of washing my face either, because, as Ryan pretended, I had chocolate pudding on it. Ryan thinks he's taking care of me. Wants to drive me everywhere and you'd think he was "all grown up" the way he acts sometimes, always thinking about what he can do for me or buy me at the store. This is the age of pretending and play acting.

Nate is very dependable and a big help, just as Bill was a big help when my two sons were growing up. I brought them back home in the afternoon as mom and dad had returned from their trip. Bill was already cutting his lawn and mom was busy with laundry and chores. So it begins once again.

Little Ryan couldn't wait to run upstairs to play his "drums." This time he would wear the sunglasses that he brought from grandmas house, just like Uncle Steve. You should have seen him play with two  sticks one on the snare, and one on the bass and one little foot keeping time, singing EIEIO.

When I got home that evening, I saw the Cottage Breeze candles that I purchased for my potpourri pot and picked one up to smell, just as Ryan did earlier in the day. Emmmm, just as he said it smells good. These are the moments that you cannot capture with film, but moments that you capture with your heart.

No comments: