See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Friday, November 1, 2013

Sweet November

I'm a true-blooded New Englander who through the years have come to appreciate each and every season-- each with it's own color, taste and sound. Yesterday was so much fun that waking up to hear the howling wind, on a dark rainy dismal and leaf-slippery morning caused me much reflection of November, in years past.

What is to come? More bleakness, as November draws us closer to the death-like state of winter. Oddly enough, the temperature did not match the view as it was sixtyish. Better than ice any day. Come to think of it we did have a slight frost which, as of last weekend, left my gardens quite lifeless and needy. Why am I so surprised? Didn't we see the Canadian geese doing their usual fly by's and with the colorful and fallen leaves didn't we anticipate the coming of November? But, it is so drastic, one day, colorful golden leaves basking in the sun and today none, just emptiness, barren and stick like, banished from paradise, in a sudden death.

We know that is not the end of the story, as we will just anticipate the spring all the more and will be amazed once again at its beauty, hidden in the debt of winter, as all things cycle forth, better than ever, in some cases.

There's still football and family gatherings ahead with turkey and trimming to look forward to. But I cannot help but feel the sense of loss...and sadness just the same. I retrieved the recycle bin, which was blowing down the street, and brought more pots in, with the hope of reviving some of the untouched plant life within.

People that know me, also realize that I like to change color schemes-- orange and red this time of the year, brightens my home and gives me the pick-me-up feeling that keeps me from getting too gloomy. I am a Scorpion--short for moody, and liking change, soon to be celebrating another birthday. What I wonder is, why do people call this month "Sweet November?" It's anything but sweet.

In a way, I'm glad to see that the clocks will be adjusted on Sunday, as I like to retire early this time of the year. Life is different for New Englanders, partly I think, because of the shortened days and the struggle to keep warm. While certainly this is not beach or barbecue weather, there is something to be said about scented soaps and candles, warm woolens and flannels, flavored coffee, homemade breads, jam, and sexy boots. I love to cook all the so-called comfort foods like apple pie, and homecooked meals in the crockpot.

Yes, I will miss the long bright days of wearing my sandals, shorts and eating ice cream-- flower gardens, wren and song birds, the beach, cook-out's and summer fun, but only for a little while....

  

No comments: