See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Meeting the Grandparents

I have added two photo's today of two wonderful people, my grandparents. I never knew my grandparents as they passed away before I was born. Yet, I knew them through my dad, aunts and uncle. I've often spoken about my grandmother, Laura, who I was named after by my dad. She a was a petite woman, devoted mother, and hard working lady, who like many others of that error, was happily employed as a homemaker. Stories about her are stories about her faith, and life surrounding the church she loved, which you can see in the background of that picture, Sacred Heart, as she lived on a hill just above. I guess you could say we have a lot in common. My dad had dark hair and looked like his mom in this photo. She was part Indian, her mother was a Blackfoot Indian Princess, who being of Canadian French descent, settled here originally. Her husband, Joseph, came from Italy. They spoke both French and English at home, as most people in this town did. My dad used say that my mother looked like his mom, and for the first time, I can see it in this picture. Looking at the photo of the grandparents together, I can see that she had the same problem as I do, with the sleeve length. My aunt Irene looks the most like her. It is said that the apple does not fall far from the tree. It's all in the genes. How can you remember someone that you never knew. Yes, you can when you are so much like them. My mom may have looked like her, but I, in many ways, am the grandmother I never knew. It is hard to believe that the photo and era that I love to recall was just yesterday. Time has changed so much...We do not live anything like the way that my grandparents did, yet we are very much the same.

No comments: