See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Friday, April 1, 2011

Impersonal Calls

We now live in world that is becoming totally impersonal. Communication is handled one way--communication NOT. Communication is usually a two-way conversation. That is the problem, you do not get to reply. Messages sometimes require an answer, which leaves you hanging...Did they get it or not? What is their reply? Are they going, or not? Then, comes the waste of time, in getting a reply to your question. Phone computers are the best "drive you crazy" devices. If you don't answer, or if they wish to, they can put you on a loop, a loop of recall, meaning, you have to deal with them at some point, while you may be subject to music or a complete waste of time. Phones that can receive messages, while you are out, (voicemail) can become another job at some point, in their accumulation. Don't even get me started on solicitation calls, maybe your message should be, "please do not leave me a message if you are...". You know the scoop, your in the shower, bathroom, outside or downstairs doing the wash. All of which cause you to go running to get the phone, thinking "must be important" right! Safety reasons require that you let the caller leave you a message. Yet, most of the time, unless it is important, they don't. Without having caller I.D. your left to wonder, "who called, and I wonder if it was important." Today was the best one. I ran to the phone to take what I thought was a call from my husband, since he regularly calls me from the office to see what I'm up to....It was the hospital to confirm my scheduled appointment. The computer call, blurted out my name, time and date of the test, and suggested that I preregister... all I had to do was press the star key. I understand the frustration of the elderly when they tell me that they do not even know if they have a "star" key. I knew I had one, but picked up the phone in a dark room, in which I didn't have time to turn the light on, and not having my glasses readily available, even with the light on, would not have been able to press the star key. So, I ran to the window and threw up the curtain, to "find" and "press" it in a timely manner. Apparently, the computer wasn't able to hear me say "one moment please," or, allow me to put on my glasses, (they should be on my desk as they usually are.) Won't take but a moment. Hello! That's right, you can't hear me your a computer. I pressed the star key but guess what, I wasn't fast enough for the computer, who knew how to hang up in my face. Did it also realize that I didn't quite get all the information that I needed? Modern technology can improve they way you do business, at times. All the modern day offices use these systems, while reflecting proficiency, time and cost savings. I didn't have to say "yes" or "no" to which sometimes the computer will answer, "sorry we didn't get your reply", .... this time. Here I sit not having an opportunity to voice my questions, have no call-back number, and am unable to "preregister". Now, I will be making an incoming call, having no name as a reference, maybe the computer should leave a name like "inefficiency computer calling," remembering (his/or her) pleasant voice with a smile), and obtain the information which a programmed call is unable to answer. This time though, I have the advantage of knowing who called, as well as the pertinent information previously received from the doctor's office; the date, time and place. More and more, computer's are implemented, replacing the need for human workers. It is said that future doctors will be "robots". While I understand that there is "human error", I am not convinced that we are headed in the right direction, with impersonal machines, especially in places like a hospital, which requires human interaction, and a personal touch. We know computers can replace human interactions, but, should they?

1 comment:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.