See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Out of the Mouth of a four year old

Nathan is four now, and we see how much he loves grandma's food. Yet, when I served American Chop-Suey yesterday, he quickly said "I don't want that" and then, "I want soup." He looks forward to my soup, and knowing that I should have prepared some ahead of time. Luckily, he didn't ask for his favorite chocolate-chip cookies. Instead he wanted vanilla ice cream and this we usually keep on hand for him.

Food is important to a young child and they don't forget. I immediately pulled out the loosely browned hamburg and onion dish with vegetarian beans that I've given since he was without teeth. Except there is no longer a need for mashing. He "loves this and gobbled it down immediately without complaint. Grampy got his orders this morning, with "grampy I hungry" and it's the usual, waffle toast with syrup and cream, warm chocolate milk and apple juice.

People that know me would agree that I love to spoil others, especially Nathan. He is a very happy child. I opened the refrigerator door and he excitedly said "grandma you have orange pears" so I said, you mean these? He said "yes" and I laughed. They were of course, peppers.
He likes anything orange.

Everything he does is such a joy. He was a little braver today, allowing me to remove the center of the toilet potty, which was just the way "big boys do it". His confidence is building and he knows exactly what he wants. He is beginning to dress himself now, and from time to time he needs a little assistance as he puts his clothing on backward. One of the biggest challenges is to get his hair to stay down, and it's funny to see him try to comb his hair in the mirror.

Today, being Sunday, we were permitted to take him to church with us. This time, we allowed him to place a large lit candle in the sand to pray for his daddy and mommy. Daddy has not been feeling well, so when Nathan brought home the stub of his candle doused out after church, he presented it to daddy saying "I prayed for you quietly." That usually means the sign of the cross as best as we can and, an Amen. We are thankful that he is well behaved in church. As a matter of fact, we even forgot his little toys (a car or two which usually occupies him). I found a piece of paper and a pencil, and gave him instructions to draw, if he wanted to. That means scribble. It worked! After church I asked him what he liked the best today about church, and he said "the sand that he put the candle in." Of course I thought, little boys like sand. He had a tiny little sandbox in his kitchen, along side his pic-nic table which is placed in front of the sliding doors, so he can look out and enjoy the scenes. Today, it was the squirrel who, as he was reminded by his mom, was given acorns by Nathan in the fall, by piling them up along side the tree. He delights in outdoor doggies, and kitties and was asking earlier where Chippie the chipmunk was.

As we drove into the long driveway we could see his swing set which is visible from the side of the wrap-around country style porch. He was talking about the weather station on it. Of course, we know he gets that from his daddy. Nathan got a telescope for his birthday which attaches to the top of the second level. It reminds me of the forts my brothers used to make when they played cowboys with their guns, holsters and star badges. Those of you who are on face book may have seen the picture of his new tent, which his parents put together for him.

Before we left, he pulled out the dollar bill that Sam gave him for being a good boy in church. Lesson learned, it pays to be a "good boy." His daddy told him that with a dollar he could buy one matchbox car. As he jumped up and down, he already knew which one he wants. A "blue one of course." Then he showed me the new DVD about trains. His mother said, he remarked that "grandma will like this one". Grandma then gave Brownie, his new stuffed dog with a heart, a big hug and kiss, because she missed seeing him. This is the dog he had made for his birthday. Again on face book there is a picture of him sleeping with his "froggie blanket." Just before we left, he was dragging "froggie" down the stairs so he could cuddle with his mommy on the couch.

I'm just grateful for his love and all the fun we have when grandma's big boy comes to visit.

No comments: