See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Thursday, February 25, 2010

New Star takes show by surprise

Everyone has their favorites usually they are people who wow you in some way. Perhaps, someone who has gained your favor by their beautiful voice, or it could be someone who entertains you with their humor. Most people will attend an event specifically to see that person who is worth the exorbitant fee which enticed you to be there initially.

My childhood saw many wonderful characters and we all were captivated by Disney Movies and shows. I remember "flub-a-Dub" and Howdy Doody and Clarabell. Puppets were popular on TV shows back then. Cinderella was another of my favorites. I had all the little records, 45 RPM I think they were called, and I sang the songs all day while doing chores, dreaming of my prince charming. Maybe you remember the song "Someday my prince will come, someday I'll find the one..." And, "When you Wish Upon A Star." Sometimes living in a world of make believe takes you away, and keeps you in a state of hopefulness.

I think singing always made me happiest. Couldn't whistle for beans though. It was rare in our house to be entertained other than television. People in that time frame enjoyed drive-in theaters, where a whole family got to pack in to dad's car for a per-car price. They usually featured several movies, first for the kiddies, and later the main feature, like Laurence of Arabia. We were happy to be together, although hot and mosquito bitten, we shared much laughter, pop corn, soda and candy.

Our area does little in the way of entertainment but we have seen some really nice plays lately, such as "The Love Boat" and one that we were not able to attend but heard all about. My boys grew up in a house where there was a lot of music. As director of the Sunday School in my previous church, besides the summer vacation bible program, we had many religious plays and dinner-plays which drew in many to support the cast. I directed the Christmas play each year and several other's, in which my two sons were participants. We had fun and many times things went totally wrong, which added to the success of the event, surprisingly. Like the time we had technical problems with the sound system, causing the music to speed up. The dancers never danced so fast in their young lives, and looked quite comical dressed as ballerinas, in fast gear.

This leads me to tell you that my friend, Jean went to see my son Steve, play the drums in the background of the recent show, last week, which was held at our local high school, "The Wizard of Oz." She related that the star of the show, in her opinion was "Toto".

Jean and Steve have a small dog, Madison, so I can appreciate how Totos appearance was especially noted by her. She said that the dog allow it to be placed in the the basket by the wicked witch without barking. Remarkable! The dog didn't know it was a play, and that had to be frightening for the little thing. Then, the dog was seen going behind the curtain to pull on the pant leg of the Wizard. Training people is difficult enough, but to get the dog to do it's part certainly is something to be admired. Can you imagine if the dog was unruly?

She said it was great and wanted Steve to switch dogs? It's not surprising that the dog captivated the audience. I'm sure that the little munchkins were adorable too. You never know who will be "Star of the Day."

1 comment:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.