See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Friday, May 6, 2011

Mother's Day Bake Sale

Tomorrow stands will be selling flowers and stores will be crowded to the max for those wishing to purchase the perfect gift for their mother.

I recall my son Bill picking violets from along side the house and proudly bringing them to me, without stems. I was so happy to get the thoughtful gift, I placed them in an ashtray added water and we watched them float around. Last week, I had Nate and Ryan for the day. We went out back to swing, it was Ryan's first time on the swing with grandma and Nate. I had often taken Nathan on the swing even on rainy days, then it was with cushions and a radio of course. He'd often take a nap, especially after swim and playtime in the pool. Ryan also enjoys carriage rides and walks (or scooter rides) with Nate, then we swing. While we were on the swing, I pointed out the violets, growing in bunches bordering the house, to Nathan and told him the story about his daddy.

Bill has always given me so much, and now I observe how much he has to give to his family. He likes surprises and I'm sure he won't forget his lovely wife, who deserves so much for being the wonderful mom that she is. Steve always made me wonderful cards, complete with Hallmark on the back. Bill and Steve always had a great sense of humor and they always made me feel special on my "special" day.

Years ago, it was customary to visit your mom on mother's day bringing mostly flowers, chocolates or something that we know she will love. Then, mom would take out the coffee pot, in those days it was brewed on the stove, or an electric model that plugged into the wall. Now, we have coffee bars where people make their own and have many choices to mull over. Always, mom always had some of her special pastries to serve to us.

Mother's day was always pleasant, and it usually began with going to church together. Mom's wore corsages, white or red, determined by whether your mom was living or not. We had a large family, so rarely did we go out to dinner. I recall mom cooked on Mother's Day, mostly spaghetti and meatballs.

I am baking today for the Mother's Bake Sale which will be held tomorrow at St. Michael Church hall. It is fun to be able to purchase a plate full of our family's "favorites" in anticipation of their visit, or, to bring out treats when we meet for dinner, on a different occasion. Tonight, I will bake my mom's special recipe of cinnamon roll-ups with maple syrup and walnuts. It is great with coffee, anytime. Several people have asked me over and over to make them. After all, the woman at our church work so hard for the ladies organization, which exists to help the parish and the priest. They are such an asset to our parish, especially in July, when we have our Parish Festival.

Besides, I know that you'll be there. So it's sweets for the sweet and honey for honey. And, just imagine how happy your friends and family will be to be the happy recipients of the goodies. Lunch will be served, and I know you'll not want to miss that! Happy Mother's day to all you moms out there. Enjoy your special day and your weekend. Thanks for all you do, you are loved and appreciated.

No comments: