See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Saint Joseph

Ordinarily one does not hear much about the life of Saint Joseph. Yesterday, I watch a DVD which is one of my favorite Christmas Movies, "the nativity story." I'm not saying that I agree with all that transpired in the move, like the scene where Joseph actually delivers Jesus, while the bright star provided the light, in a Bethlehem cave.

Joseph can be said to be an heroic figure throughout it's presentation standing by Mary--not accusing her, as that could have dramatically changed the outcome. Clearly, his peers were not in agreement, as in one scene, a rock was placed in his hand to hurl at his betrothed. He, instead, drank the cup of kindness, and endured the jeering and repulsed stares, keeping Mary under his protection.

Courageously, he travelled with Mary, who was with child, showing him to have great strength and fortitude, all the while perplexed.  Another scene shows a weakened donkey who is unable to transport its passenger and enters into a slide down a cliff of sand. Joseph, knowing the food is limited and the importance of keeping his animal strong, shared his bread with the dumb beast, unknowingly by Mary.

The beginning of the movie shows Mary's displeasure at having become betrothed to Joseph, saying that she did not "love" him. A couple of scenes later, Mary washes Joseph's feet, which appear cut and burnt, showing a change of the disposition of the heart. Perhaps, this was an attempt to show that someone can "find love" even in an arranged marriage.

Finally, Joseph is seen leading Mary and Jesus away to safety, during the night, at the hearing from an angel of danger, to Egypt. Provisions are made for Mary and Jesus by Joseph, who did his job at keeping our saviour safe.

Today, I ponder at what would be our fate if Joseph had said "no" to God. We all must answer the call.  I think being protective is naturally imbred in both sexes, but it is one of Josephs biggest traits.

Just last week, little Ryan, reminded me that he holds my hand so I won't be scared of the bus. Yet, all the while, I was holding his hand for the same reason.

It is a story about love, pure and simple, one I highly recommend.


No comments: