See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Friday, November 13, 2009

The package

Tonight we tried a new restaurant, which brings home a point. That is that beauty is usually hidden. We have passed by this restaurant, judging it to be second rate because of its location. Others have raved about it yet, it didn't appeal to me as I judged it from the outside.

As I sat in the dinning room, eloquently decorated in my favorite black and golds, my focus was on the full view windows, which used to display furniture in its time. Now, the plush drapes and transparent window dressings took you to an interior dimension which allowed you to forget where you are. I recall saying, "pinch me, we can't be in ---." Then, I tasted the fare of the day, with a glass of red wine, which they poured from a decanter in front of me, and thought myself in a plush restaurant in one of our great cities or, a five-star restaurant in a quaint town like, Kennebunkport, ME. Unbelievable!

Often we miss out on something special because we "prejudge". Years ago, I recall going to a service at a monastery in CT, which was developed from a burnt out barn. Once inside, it was so beautiful, and peaceful. In the newly renovated area hung huge Icons, where bees wax candles provided the light, and the interior smelled sweetly of incense. Yet, looking from the outside, it was unsightly and run-down. Few even knew it was there. It no longer is.

People are like that, from the outside they may not be all that appealing, but it's inside that you will find a beautiful person who will give you the shirt off their back. The first words from their mouth are welcoming , and their interest is not in themselves, but in you.

We hear that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. At a moments glance, you can be fooled into believing whatever someone wants you to think. Usually, that is a "false impression", so look deeper, for the beauty that is, is within. And, you may find the truth that is obscured, initially. Why are people so afraid to get close, intentionally keeping their distance, when all they want is to be "discovered" if only they could trust. Yet, most people have a thick stone wall built up so high that no one can penetrate it. From the outside, cold and hard, yet on the inside, vulnerable, needing to be accepted and loved for who they are. It begins with "hello." It begins with "me." Let the light in, take a chance.

We were so impressed with Fins & Tales, that we've made reservations for Thanksgiving Dinner. I wonder when I look outside this time, watching the cars go by in the daylight, if Iwill see the atmosphere across the street or will I be so impressed with the inside, that it will be all that matters.

The inside is "the heart" of the matter, and the heart is all that counts. Are you looking deeply? We are conditioned to look for externals. Who and where you come from, money, jewelry, assets, position, education, associates, and all sort of social identities. Yet, from this venue of choices will you discover what will bring you happiness or will you be looking out from the window of discontent, like so many others that don't get it.

Take a chance, it's not the package but the content. Last week I celebrated another birthday and I recall saying that my mom, didn't bother wrapping the gift, often presenting it in a paper bag. She knew where the focus was!

No comments: