See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

St. Michael's Feastday

A joyful weekend was had by John and I, beginning with Friday, my birthday party with my family. Saturday noon we had lunch at St. Nicholas Church who were holding their annual Holiday bazaar. A few short hours later found us at St. Michael's Church, celebrating a vesperal service with parishioners and several priests, which was followed by refreshments in the Museum. Then it was out to dinner at our favorite restaurant in our local area, with friends.

Our church was packed fully for our Liturgy on Sunday, where our Pastor, Fr. Peter Preble gave an outstanding homily. I recall hearing that Orthodoxy is not a religion but a lifestyle. We are called to service, love means doing. And our church has been in operation 85 years.

Our hall was decked out in white linens with a wonderful turkey dinner and all the fixing's. Unfortunately, the gravy which was in a container with a lid, opened up suddenly all over my plate, table, chair and floor. Thankfully, my dress was salvaged.

Later, I was to learn how fortunate I was in not wearing gravy when John and I were presented with a gift and Icon by the parish. Fr. Peter with kind words surprised us, thoroughly and unexpectedly, calling us up for it's presentation, (someone was looking out for me).

It seems my family knew, everyone but John and me. I was just happy that they came to church and honored us by their presence at the dinner table. John has served two Orthodox Churches for over twenty-three years and it is his "first" and rightly deserved recognition.

Somewhere on this page, you will see a photo of this very happy occasion. The Icon of the Theotokos is one of my favorites. It expresses the closeness of mother and child. Where the cheek of Jesus touches his mother's face and his arms embrace her neck in a hug.

If you are a mother then you understand that embrace. If you are the child, then it says you adore your mom, she is your world. If you are anyone else looking at that pose, then you see a perfect rendition of love. Possibly followed by an affectionate kiss. Such tenderness.

Many people deserve recognition, and never get so much as a thank you. We didn't expect this act of kindness for our parish but appreciate your thoughtfulness. It was a "tender" moment and we truly feel loved. Thanks so very much.

Father kept saying, "And we're not through with you yet." We are in God's service and it is our pleasure to serve you.

1 comment:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.