See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The difference, Perception

Nathan and I were driving to the church yesterday to plant some perennials which I purchased on the weekend. Most woman know the secret, that if you want "his" undivided attention, where he can't run off somewhere, having something to do, go for a drive.

Nathan is no different, just a little man of four. Often, we talk about things as we journey. Mostly, things he is interested in, like all the satellite dishes on peoples houses, which seem to come in clusters. Then, of course it's the air conditioners on the rooftops of buildings, which I in my whole lifetime, would have never noticed, if not for his observation. He points out all the drains in the road, and flag poles. He tells me where he gets his movies, and what stores carry his favorite toys, remembering which toys were purchased in various stores. Then, it's where mommy buys her coffee. Where grandma takes him for ice cream, and he correctly names the streets and rivers as we drive by. I didn't remember the waterfall that he pointed out the last couple of times, but the observation list is growing for him, and believe me he doesn't miss a thing.

Sometimes, I'll ask him questions. Yesterday, we were discussing the trip that he will be taking to Disney next week. We saw pictures on face book of kids going down water slides and when it came to a beach scene, I found he saw in the photo, things I missed. A four-year-old can show you up now and then. I've actually learned a lot through his eyes. He is a little man at four, and notices air planes, motor cycles, trucks and "things most men are interested in, such as: sports, and car racing. Lately, he's asked us to go to the fish hatchery. He loves flowers, birds and dogs, playing ball and is learning to write his letters. We even play battle, that is: "who beats", a card game which enforces his numbers. The DVD now, is to watch America's fighting jets, which he never tires of, and of course, playing cars.

Children do not see things the way we do. I learned that it is what we perceive that makes the difference. What you think you are is what you are. I asked him, as we were on the subject of pools, "who has a pool?"
He thought for a moment and said, "you do grandma."

What you say makes a big impact on others. Recently, I heard someone say when introducing a person to another who was trying to make an impression, "He's in real estate." Sounds great...except the person didn't really own anything substantial. How you perceive another and how you speak about something can determine its value. I often say how big my grandson is. How smart he is. These things build up a person and cause them to think well of themselves, having a positive attitude breathes success. It's the same as saying "You can do it."

"Stop the bullying" has been a subject of late. Harassing short people is a type of bullying. A false confidence can be made when others think that they are better because they are bigger. I never perceived myself as anything but who I am. How do you look at yourself? Do you perceive yourself to be as other's say you are. If that is not positive, do you believe it, degrading yourself. Or, are you what God created you to be. God does not make junk. A good perception of yourself determines your confidence and success in life. Turn a deaf ear to negative remarks which are simply not true. No one has the right to "bully" anyone else. My mom used to say, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all."

I wouldn't want you to think as I finish this post that I actually own a large pool, and I did get a chuckle out of Nate's comment. The pool he so proudly was referring to is sitting in my garage. It is a very small kiddie pool which he can't wait to play in with his frogies and toy boat.

No comments: