See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Crunchy munchies

I read somewhere that if you want to eat less, then pick something that is hard or that takes long to chew. I'm not to sure, but I think they were talking about camel's brain. Anyway, they just chewed and chewed. What you can't consume, well that's what napkins are for. It is a sure way to keep you thin. Another trick was to buy something that you don't really like, or not your favorite, that will keep you out of the pantry. Another trick is to eat a small hard candy or to chew gum, as some find it helpful to have something in their mouth. There are many ways to fool the brain into thinking that your satisfied when in fact, you are not.

Abstaining from certain food groups, is an entirely different story. If I were alone, it would be easier still. But I have to satisfy a whole group of people with food allergies and other conditions which already make our choices limited. When I give up meat and dairy, I make sure that I eat nuts in it's place, but not around my grandson who has a peanut allergy. Years ago, my family just about lived on pasta and sauce with vegetables. Or, some kind of rice or wholesome bread. Now that my husband has a gluten free diet it complicates things a bit. While he can have a gluten free noodle, I cannot eat pasta or much rice because of the sugar content.

Fruit is good, but limited also because of the sugar. I'm already growing tired of my cabbage tomato soup, yet with green beans and carrots, although it makes a great hot and nutritional dish this time of the year.

I have a feeling that I will be eating a lot of cereal, 1/2 cup here and there. Black coffee was always the way I take it and flavored makes it feel like a special treat.

I bought some scallops for John, as he likes the little bay ones, and I don't. It's going to be a long time until Pascha. So, what I will eat remains to be seen. No ice cream tonight...Now that is what I really miss the most, even if it was 1/2 cup of lite only.

I found myself eating chips today and that is a big no-no for me as I am limited as to how much salt I can have. I'm supposed to have 5 or 6 small meals (snacks) a day. This ought to be interesting, otherwise, I'd just go without and fast. It is easier.

I'll tell you something that does work....Crunchy munchies. Using the Foreman grill, I place a 1/2 slice of Joseph Pita style whole wheat bread and toast it until crisp. Removing it to a plate, I spread hummus over it sparingly, adding salad ingredients on top. If I can roll it, I do. If not I break it up into pieces and enjoy it that way with cooked vegetables on top. I eat small grape tomatoes on the side, and believe it or not it is filling. Breakfast is usually cereal with ground flax seed and almond milk.

In between meals, I eat cashews and red grapes. If I had my way, I'd like to fast from snow and cold too. Maybe I'll try bean soup on my husband once again, just to see if he can tolerate it this time. If not, there's always shrimp chow mien, and good old fashioned bean sandwiches, veggie grinders and stuffed mushrooms and eggplant.

Saturday, I picked up two cabbage at the grocery store to make stuffed cabbage. This is one of our favorite meals this time of the year, beside shepherd's pie.

Guess I could get used to it. I enjoy being in the kitchen, where I make every meal fit for a king. Anytime of the year. Did you ever have coconut rolled dates with an almond in the center? At 130 calories, they are a fabulous dessert. Plain pop corn, or baked apples and homemade pretzels, and granola are also fun snacks that require little or no work at all for the happy homemaker.

When I was little, and mom was not up, we made bread, honey, banana and cinnamon sandwiches. I guess it just takes a little imagination and a lot of love. So now, just do it!

1 comment:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.