See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Beauty is in the mind of the beholder

Working together with two-year-old Ryan in his ABC book, we came to a picture of scissors and immediately, he told me that he didn't like them. Oh, I said, why not? The answer didn't take long, and it was something that we all know. Because mommy cuts my nails. Then, came the subject of hair cutting. Recently, he had a haircut which was, as his brother Nathan said, not something he liked, as he screamed and carried on....They did the best they could. After telling me about the ordeal, Ryan looked at me and as he smiled, he said as he touch his head, "beautiful." It was the first time I heard him say that word.

Then, he told me that he didn't like his mother going to work. I've heard that before, I told him, Nathan used to tell me the same thing.  I then said, Nathan used to play with grandma, now he goes to school on the bus. Now I play with Ryan. But what is grandma going to do when Ryan goes to school on the bus? Thinking and rather quickly, he got it. And, in a tone of understanding, he said, "you can cook for grampy."

Two is an age when you can begin to have a conversation. Yes, they understood before, but now they are learning to use their words. They are very smart and will surprise you at every turn, having observed each and every move. Later in the day, he wanted his Binky, and has a difficult time letting it go. The exception is at bedtime, and although it is difficult, I don't give in. So immediately, he wants his mommy. I took him outdoors, where he used his lawnmower on the pavement, then it was the wheel barrel. He loves outdoor work, and forgot all about the Binky. A change in scenery usually works. Sometimes, its a ride in grandma's car. Even though this was the first day of spring, it was cold. I let him sit in the front seat of my parked car. Of course, he was thrilled, saying "broom-broom." Then, he smiled at me, and asked me if I wanted music.

Yes, at two, he knows me quite well. And I know that they grow up so fast. I'm holding on to each and every beautiful word and moment that I spend with my family, and grandchildren. Spring is here, it won't be long before we're watering flowers, blowing bubbles, swinging in the back yard, having picnics and playing in the screen-covered sand box. And, of course, there is baseball, fireworks and the beach.

No comments: