See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sweet January

Facing me is a new challenge, the new year. How's it been so far? Sometimes you need to look to your past to know how such a cold, bleak month has been such a great friend to you.

Beside all the obstacles January throws at you, it has its own merit. Unlike November, when the days grow increasingly dark, January offers brightness. Someone pointed out to me just the other day, that he notices how much lighter the day becomes, as each day passes. That implies a hopefulness, a foreshadowing of spring.

Yesterday, I ventured out for lunch with my best friend and husband, John. We actually went to a restaurant where we had been to many years prior, in Sturbridge. This time of the year usually it is quieter and they had a wonderful fire going in the fireplace across the room. We had window seats and enjoyed the home-cooked meal, Southern style. I like biscuits with anything, and they also had great corn muffins. If you enjoy soup, then, another reason to like January and other winter months when we practically live on spicy broths. I remarked that the sun was blinding, as snow remained everywhere in huge piles.

They have a fantastic gift shop where candy is boss. Not that I eat candy, but it reminds me of Valentine's day, which is not too far away. The kids toy section offers many specialty items, long forgotten. What caught my eye was a huge mat and large checkers, which could be set-up and left out on a bar or coffee table, ready to go. Or, as some would say, the ongoing challenge. January is a time for indoor games and activities. Interestingly enough, the news featured a lady in her swimsuit outside getting a tan, just after the last snowfall. She was from Webster, a neighboring town. Wishful thinking, I'd say but never the less, hopeful.

If we were to put on our swimsuit in January, we would possibly see the need for preparing for summer fun by shedding unwanted pounds at the gym or by walking. Many, keeping their goal for fitness and good health, do so in January, with their New Year's Resolution.

Oh January, the new year is upon you to provide for us hope for the future. It is a time when we take stalk of the many acquaintances, old and new, that have helped us on our journey. Soon we will celebrate another birthday, Steve my son, born on the 27th. We just had Nate's birthday celebration last week, also a January baby. His parents put on an amazing party for our first grandson's fifth birthday. All he could say to everyone was "are you coming to my party?" and, "I'm five now."

I can make a list of the people that came into my life in January, including my husband, looking back, and know that January is a great month. It has been good to me. Life is what you make it, and for us New Englanders we know January is just the beginning of the cycle of the "newness of life," filled with light and hope which heralds all good things in the coming months.

No comments: