See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Not quick to blink

Those of you who know me know that I am not quick to blink. That means that I am not gullible. In fact, I am over cautious about anything that goes into my body. I do not even take aspirins or cold remedies. I believe instead in prevention, where possible. Yet, I'm no fool. There are people out there who are predicting "the big one". The long over-due flu epidemic which will, if it is a pandemic, take the lives of many, especially the most vulnerable.

The state that I live in has a bill in which mandating the flu shot may be imposed on it's residents. I do not believe that the government at the state level especially, has the right to play God.

It is still and always will be my body and my decision. What offends me is when I am being manipulated to do or believe in something by other's deciding what I want or need. God gave me my own brain and I am capable of making an adult decision on every level, given the information, so far as I am able. There is only one word for "we believe, we say, we conclude, we decided, and that is "sneaky controlling." I have my own beliefs.

Easy for other people to say, you should get your flu shot, not taking into account that we are individuals and as such, may have a different outcome. I am mulling tonight over whether or not I will have the flu shot, as suggested my physician and priest. I value their opinion.

I am not impulsive by nature and find that I will mull through a decision, not taking unnecessary risks. So what is bothering me? The chemical Thimerosal. If they offer a formula free of this dangerous additive, I would not hesitate. Yet, if I got the H1N1 virus, who knows? This is a moral decision, as I am responsible for what I put into my body. As a Christian, I take my responsibility seriously.

The findings of this chemical additive, (inorganic mercury exposure) causes poisoning which causes neurological damage and death.

Immunization Safety Review Committee
"The IOM urged that "full consideration be given to removing thimerosal from any biological product to which infants, children, and pregnant women are exposed" (IOM 2001). Routine administration of influenza vaccine is recommended in pregnant women, yet currently available U.S. licensed influenza vaccines contain thimerosal. Why are pregnant women receiving influenza vaccine containing thimerosal?" " Nonetheless, FDA is in discussions with manufacturers of influenza vaccine encouraging them to further increase the supply of preservative-free formulations." I am a bottom-line person, I think you have some idea of my thinking. We need to be informed, not led blindly. If you want to read more go here.

So, I remain indecisive. Sigmund Freud said, "In the small matters trust the mind, in the large ones the heart." As I way the options, I realize that there is no "right decision." Just choices and consequences, to which I will give prayerful consideration.

No comments: