See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Out of the Mouth of Babes

I had the luck of having my grandson Friday overnight through Saturday evening. We had so much fun, as always trying to get it all in, favorite places, toys and foods.

It was time for new videos, and new toys and having those great heart to heart talks. Its hard to remember all that was said. I recall him telling me again how much he likes the orange flowers I plant in my garden each year. He tells me when Chippy (the chipmonk) is near and Blackie the cat, that brings me dead mice.

We played band, banging on tin pie plates while wearing our green plastic St. Patrick's Day hats. It was cars, monster trucks, airplanes and puzzles. Grampy read book after book, while I prepared dinner.

It was a couple of wonderful days. Then, just before his dad picked him up, he said the most wonderful words to me that I had ever heard. I don't even know where he learned such a thing, telling me what I meant to him and how special I was. I was so shocked that it came from a three year old. Who no question, loves his grandmother and that is a very special blessing.

At coffee this morning, I shared my story with our parish priest, who said "out of the mouth of babes." It is true that children are not shy or inhibited and because of that, love comes easy. We need to be like that. Saying we love someone is often difficult for reasons of shyness or inability to express something so personal. Yet, someone out there is waiting for you to say it. It will mean the world to them, as that might be all they are living for, your love.

You've been trying to tell them in so many ways, they probably already know, but are just waiting to hear the words we all need to hear. Don't be shy. Take the example from out of the mouth of babes.

No comments: