See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

White Frost

There are different degrees of frost, today it is "white" frost. That is what is visible on the neighbor's rooftops this morning. The plants are glittering as if syrup has been poured on them and sprinkled with fairy dust. They will die now, it is the end of what was a beautiful garden, and I will be sad to see it go.

Yesterday, while praying at the church, I observed that the impatiens were long gone, perhaps since last week when a snow storm hit this area, taking out the most vulnerable of plants. Yet, the roses were still in a budding state and looked great. Now, this is a killing frost only plants that were sheltered may have made it, if they can endure the cold. If I could, I would wrap my hands around each one of them, trying in an effort to preserve that which is destined to have but a season.

As the days grow shorter, we must take a lesson from nature. Bill said it was below 30 degrees on the hill, as he works to maintain his snow blower. Our two vehicles are 4 wheel drive as we live in a hilly area which gets a fair amount of snow, it is a necessity.

Along with the changed weather, the aged family members are feeling poorly, so today I will make my famous chicken soup and become a delivery service. I hope also to make chicken pot pie for our evening get-together and some colorful cut-out sugar cookies, (pumpkins, teddy bears and cats). If there is time, a carrot cake with cream cheese, (my husband's favorite), for the Thursday community meal at the church, and a homemade bread.

I sure wish my kitchen were a little bigger, but wishing does not make it so. I love being in it cooking for those I love. Yes, I will miss my gardens but will dream of the coming spring surprises.

Oh I can smell it now, hot apple cider with cinnamon, and time for a smile and a chat.

No comments: