See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Aliens Are Back

I knew that would get your attention. Alien to us here in the North East for a spell and returning in the springtime with the acceleration of growth everywhere, is the "infectious pollen" that has many folk around here sick.

The degree that one suffers is minimally to "off the wall". If you have no more than a runny nose, itchy eyes, ears and throat and an occasional sneeze, your one of the lucky ones.

Others with more sensitivity, also suffer from bronchial discomforts, and asthma. The poisonous result of having entered into your body, is that you feel flu-like or as some may say, "I don't know if this is a cold or allergy symptoms." The difference is, that most do not have a fever with allergy. People may get an itchy throat, plugged-up ears, and a nasty cough, which can sound like a bronco cough. Forget sleeping at night!

Hay fever allergies must run their seasonal course. My sensitives are to grass pollens and tree pollens, mostly maple. It seems that's all we have around here too. I really notice the onslaught of these alien substances when the debris on the ground, having fallen from their source above. I get to stay indoors with the windows closed, or, if I do go out, I must use air conditioning, or wear a mask. Rainy days I like best, washing down the alien substances from the air to the ground.

Not all days are alike, and wind does make a difference. We observe pollen counts currently available on local weather stations, and plan accordingly.

Just when I was looking forward to being outdoors in the sun, which after a long winter, I sorely need, I will be forced to stay inside until the new leaves have grown in.

So what does it feel like to have springtime allergies? The worse hangover you'll ever have without having the reason for the hangover, while you cough your brains out, constantly. Once the offending substance has entered your body, it usually takes ten days or more to recuperate from the intrusion.

Best remedy is to avoid the alien substances in the first place.

Today, I plan to do more sewing, having done nine panels of curtains, I've got one more to go. Occasionally, I'll peek out of my window to get a peek at the beautiful things that mother nature is doing out there. It sure is getting colorful after a long, drab winter and I can't wait until I can finally get outdoors and enjoy it all. Yesterday, I saw a beautiful red cardinal on my dwarf Japanese Red Maple tree.

I'm still waiting for the wrens to arrive, perhaps today!

No comments: