See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Your Smile Reveals Your Joy

If your feeling just fine, a smile naturally comes to you. And, it is contagious. You've probably noticed that two people in love cannot contain their smile, as the joy wells up from the heart.

My dad used to say, "when you laugh the world laughs with you, when you cry you cry alone."

Another saying, "Let your smile be your umbrella." There may be some truth to that. You sure would not want to greet anyone with a frown, or if your seeking friendship a smile should proceed your words. Your smile says a lot about you.

That leads me to ask if you have ever noticed what ICONS all have in common? No smile. Yet, I can picture a smile on the face of Theotokos as she views her Son, Jesus. A smile on the face of the angel, who pointing to the empty tomb and cloth, revealed the resurrected Christ. And the women as they excitedly go forth with the news.

Why do the people in the Icons lack a smile? (I know, I am an inquisitive type of person, and even now have many such questions about things which others would perceive as silly). Icons reveal everything else but the joy.

Turning to scriptures, (The Orthodox Study Bible) I read in (Phil4:4)"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!"

To rejoice is to be filled with joy, laughter, and rapture. Rejoicing in Him therefore, should bring a smile to your face.

Still, why do Icons not depict the joy the bible assures us is "present", in the faces of those represented in that form? We see the "light" but not the smile. I think there is a very deep message here. I often look upon them and wonder, how were they feeling? They show no tears either, and we know there were many. Maybe feelings get in the way of truth. Love is after all a decision. It is a serious decision to believe and follow Christ.

"In faith and love draw near". Any thoughts?

No comments: