See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Unexpected Surprise

Today was the day we decided to begin to decorate our home for Christmas. Not one but two trees, both totally different. We had decided to put up only one tree this year, but Nathan wanted grandma to put one up in our dining room, as well. If it were up to me, we probably would not have any. Now its not as bad as all that, it's just, well commercial. I've grown to love the real Christmas much more.

Was that the unexpected surprise, putting up our trees? No! During the week I found myself doing some cleaning and stumbled on the book which I had been faithfully reading for some time, only to discover that I had a place mark at the end, clearly indicating that I hadn't finished it. What a joy to finally do that today while Nathan watched one of his favorite movies.

All of you probably know by now that the title of the book is "Darcy's Passions," by Regina Jeffers. Early on, the acquaintance of Elizabeth and Darcy was one of question. It reads: "Each time as he swore to himself he would ignore Elizabeth, he found himself more enticed by her." He wanted to be in her presence where he could observe her, where he could listen to her conversation, and interact with her. "Darcy determined she flirted with him through the verbal assaults, and they worked remarkably."

The problem as I began to understand it, was class struggle. He came from wealth and she did not. "Yet, he found his diversion with Elizabeth Bennet to be an unanticipated pleasure." His thoughts seemed elsewhere and her flirtations of late increased in their intensity and duration. "The chaos of his mind had him hating himself for the turmoil such thoughts created." "All the old insecurities returned. Would he never be able to make her love him?" Especially hearing her say, "I hear such different accounts of you as puzzle me exceedingly..I have every reason to think ill of you..."

Darcy could force himself to be indifferent. Too late, it jumped from admiration to love and He found that he lost his taste for food, retiring early to his chambers. He lost focus and drink was his companion. "Darcy's love for her could not allow him to ignore her."

He became her "hero" because love finds a way, admiration turns to love. That is the story in a nutshell, except for the final scene on New Year's Eve, when Lizzy got sick because the men's clothing smelled of cigar smoke. She is forced to tell her husband the news of her pregnancy, not knowing if it would please him to become a father. The news is shared with the guests at the party and with the announcement of parenthood, the party took on a whole new level of enjoyment.

"God gives us blessings because of what we do for others." "You are more devout than I, but I have come to a new understanding of the infinite power of God since Elizabeth came into my life. I never knew such love of life." Then, Darcy's sister Georgiana makes this remark. "Did you know, Brother, the Greeks did not extol a man's accomplishments upon his death?" "They simply asked one question of his family and friends: did he live his life with undying passion?"

Darcy offered a toast to Elizabeth. "To my wife, Elizabeth Bennett Darcy, a woman of unexpected wit, a devotion to her family, silent courage, and strength combined with innocence and sweetness--I learned from you how to be a brother, a man, and a husband. Soon I will learn to be a father. You are the love of my life."

Real love is the light that never flickers out. It is the unexpected Surprise. This Christmas, give the gift that keeps on giving, the gift of Love.

No comments: