We didn't need to be told to leave the building when the smoke detector and white blinking lights went off at a local restaurant tonight while we were enjoying a glass of beer from our hometown brewery.
12 Crane Street as we call it, or the Dark Horse Tavern is one of our favorite watering holes and we boldly state that it is the best around.
They also have live entertainment which has featured plays, as well as musical groups and live bands. The place is wonderfully designed and we have attended banquets, Christmas parties and a spectacular New Years Eve dinner. I was impressed when the owner, Gabe, told me that the decorations placed for Christmas were "artificial," as public safety was a priority there. All the same, they were beautiful. We appreciate that and all the little extras they do to make us feel welcome.
Each and every event was top notch, from birthday parties to a quite evening with my spouse, like tonight. So we thought it would be, until we understood we were to evacuate. Beer in hand, we left the tavern area and went outdoors to sit in the patio area, which was quite comfortable on a hot evening such as this.
Everyone proceeded orderly, peacefully and quietly. No one seemed distressed and in fact, we wondered what was happening, as it was not on our level, but up above us. Shortly after, we were informed by our servers that we were "allowed" to return inside. The alarms had been turned off, as well, the overhead blinking white lights. I never knew they were even there before tonight. They reminded me of the lights located on the traffic lights which warn us of oncoming fire personnel.
There was no question, everything was done on a professional level. Once inside we received our wonderful meal and enjoyed every bit of the evening. Our adventure over, and homeward bound, we remarked at the wonderful place we frequent often and are grateful for.
This area is fortunate to have such a unique place as the Dark Horse Tavern, and we hope to be able to continue with the fine dining and relaxing atmosphere that this establishment has provided for us and this town.
Many times I've heard over the scanner, fire calls going out in response to smoke detector's going off. Sometimes it's just a matter of burnt toast, lets say, at the Hospital or Nursing Home. It was interesting to be on the other end to experience the other side of it. This adventure turned out to be a small inconvenience for us and a room full of people. It proved once again that we have the very finest fire department around, who regard "safety first" and handle every call professionally and with great efficiency. It was rumored that there was smoke in the kitchen, and some smelled it, slightly.
I don't usually write two posts in one day, but I wanted to say thanks to "all" for a job well-done. Our town prides itself in serving it's public. We appreciate the fine job they collectively do for it's citizens.
Just Read: The Flag
1 month ago