See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Like thumb sucking, the kissing desire

They say your never too old to learn. Much of what we know we observe and learn from others. Yesterday, I watched pictures of my first grandchild, who really did not have a great desire to suck his thumb. The pacifier was almost as big as his face and it made me laugh. I'm here alone, laughing now.

We all have desires and to help children rid of the thumb sucking habit, many ways are tried. I recall seeing hot sauce remedies applied to the thumb as a last resort, which does work when nothing else can. My mom used to tie a safety pin to a glove, tied to clothing. It has been many years since I sucked my left thumb. It is said that "the hand" is an indicator as to the choice of which hand will be used in handwriting. They were right.

It's a good mother who weens her child from the habit in order to prevent braces down the road. Yet, there are some mother's who feel that you can cause psychological damage if you insist your child quit the habit.

We live in an atmosphere where kissing is frowned upon. People are hugging less too. It is not wise to show any affection in public. My little grandson, when he comes to visit walks right past me to the toy room. Just as if he were going to daycare. He was wisely taught not to go near people, as he has a peanut allergy. My mother-in-law lives on peanut butter and she recently said she'd love to hug him, but of course, that is out of the question. Instead, she blows him a kiss. Years ago, a little kiss on the cheek was "expected" of you between friends and family members. It wasn't taboo then.

I wonder if its just woman that long for their first kiss? I wonder if men get the desire also to be kissed? I'm aware of all the diseases that people can get from kissing. Obviously, there's a difference from kissing on the mouth, rather than on the cheek. Maybe it is good not to get involved in that type of behaviour. Is it like thumb sucking, having a desire, quenched and not given in to?

When I was younger, I recall the words of a popular song by Cher. "It's in his kiss. That's where it is, it's in his kiss." Parts of the world, especially in the cities of "invisible women," the lips are concealed, as well as their entire bodies. Are desires also concealed, forbidden? In this country, lip covers of choice colors, emphasize the beauty of the mouth and expose, in it's contrast, the whiteness of the teeth, and provides a protection against dryness. A smile, the expression of one to another, is a beautiful gesture. Women need to keep up their appearance, and need to be told that they are pretty, at any age.

Public expression, and kissing, in some countries is against the law. There is a reason for thumb sucking and that need is obvious. Kissing is a real need and expression of human interaction, just like being held, from infancy. We never outgrow our desire for affection and love.

Seems we never know what we should or shouldn't do, it's always kind of awkward, and we truly do not want to offend anyone. So, unless there is a mutual desire, or your kissing cousins that you haven't seen in a while, a handshake is the preferred option, no matter what the desire.

No comments: