See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Mary Did You Know

Being the season of Pre-Christmas, I try to gradually pull out little things that I have saved during the years, and in doing so, think of the person that gave it to me. Yesterday, I found at the bottom of my storage box, an item that was missing for a while. It was given to me by a dear friend, who we called Sophia. Sophia had breast cancer and lost her life the second time around. She was a very special person. Mostly, I remember her urgency of frequenting church. She was very determined to worship God. She understood how fragile life is, and at a very young age was taken from us. I think of her often, and as cantor, pray for her along with my deceased family members. I picked up the bell and placed it on a table in my living room. Somehow, she will be with us again this Christmas, each and every time I glance at it.

Sophia left a young daughter who is doing fine. All Sophia wanted in life was to live long enough to "church her." Sarah is a very sweet girl, Sophia has done a great job raising her in the short time that she had.

Sophia and I used to have discussions about our faith and I know that she had a very deep love for God. I will always miss her.

As I was awake early today, thoughts of her came to me, all because of the bell, which had an angel on it. She was an angel and her concern was for the souls of the lost, always looking to introduce others to her beloved faith, Orthodoxy.

One never knows what the future brings. I wonder if the Virgin Mary knew what would happen to her Son, Jesus, beside knowing that a "a sword will pierce through your own soul also)."Luke 2:35 The Orthodox Study Bible. The words came from Simeon as Jesus was dedicated in the Temple.

Not to long ago, I came across a song that shared some beautiful thoughts. Here are some of the words.

Mary did you know that your baby boy will one day walk on water...
Mary did you know that your baby boy will save our sons and daughters...
Did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new...
That the child that you've delivered...
will soon deliver you....

In this advent season, these are some of my thoughts. How special the vocation of motherhood is...How special it was for Mary.

No comments: