See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Friday, December 31, 2010

A New Year

Just three short hours from now it will be indeed the much anticipated New Year. It is in fact, a time to reflect on some of the highlights of the past year.

September, brought us the joy of welcoming into this world our grandson, Ryan William. A second-time grandmother, I am truly blessed. We get to do it all over again. Nathan will turn five in January. They are truly my joy.

November, my husband surprised me with a brand new car, for my birthday --a Honda Accord. This vehicle was so different from my SUV, that I had to learn all over again. I still reach for the handle --where it is no longer. It has the emergency break and gears in the center, and not on the wheel and floor. They are like night and day, especially the long front of the car, vs practically none at all. I feel like I'm driving very low to the ground. All new things take time. It barely fits in the garage.

November also was the month that I became officially retired. Since my husband is scheduled to work for another twenty years, it proves that there is no rest for the wicked. I will never be "fully" retired, and maybe that's a good thing. There will be no discussions about moving south to Florida, like some of my other friends have done.

Activities have increased, if anything. Beside enjoying my family, I spend much of my time in the gardens, both the church and mine. I've done my share of community activity, especially with the "free community meal, shortly to become meals, once a month at our local church. Cantering at prayer services are a priority, cooking for my shut-in mother-in-law and on occasion, sewing and cleaning for everyone, especially on Tuesday when the family gets-together. We've enjoyed participating in facilitating in the coffee house, once a month, at the church hall. Chairing the Adult Church Christmas Party for the past four years has me running around looking for Christmas gifts, and as well, coordinating dinner and plans with the cook. This year, for the gift bags, I made my mother's five minute fudge and sugar cookies, which came out just like her's, amazing!

What will I do in the New Year? Probably more of the same, besides enjoying my home, exercise, reading, traveling to my favorite festivals and ocean spots, shopping and dining with friends, and taking adult courses at the church, as we're never too old to learn. They'll be more bake sales and of course the church pic-nic. (Mary and Martha), my friend and I, are planning a new social outreach program. We have tentatively tossed it around for several years, scheduled to begin in January.

I have special goals in mind, among them, learning to sing and play new songs, practicing on my organ. I will become a better listener, friend, and there for all who need me. I'll write and share ideas on my blog and, to all who have taken the time to read this, I wish you love and happiness in the New Year. Thanks for your caring and comments. May all your hopes and dreams come true.

No comments: