See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Balloons and Clowns

Saturday evening I prepared to attend my grandson's Halloween Party, and was looking forward to meeting all his friends at the Polish Club. It was said that his day-care provider, Miss Linda, was putting this event on, in order to get the family's to meet. I've heard so much about her since his birth, and all the wonderful things she does with the children, that I was looking forward to seeing her and all the costumes.

We arrived at 5:30 on time, and when I walked in I expected to see all the kiddies, making noise and running around. Instead it was quiet, no kids in view, no costumes. Then, surprise!

I was surprised, that's who was surprised! Me. I should have guessed it, but I admit, I had no clue. I was Clueless, even though Jean asked me a week or so prior, for addresses. Angie, for pictures for a book she was compiling for Bill?

Just the other day, we were discussing where we would eat dinner, following Nate's party. I even offered to make something here, but they really wanted to eat out, no wonder!
Angie said that Billy had a gift certificate that they needed to use. It was a (white) lie. And, I bought it.

This plan was well crafted, as nothing was missed. Balloons, guest register, a beautiful cake, flowers, a video- presentation, everything but a male stripper, thank God. I saw this at one of these "over the hill parties," and I wouldn't hold my breath at what the kids could conjure up. In fact, one of my first concerns was "being roasted," by them or my brothers. That didn't happen.

It began with a poem delivered by my eldest son, Bill. Here it is:
As we all gather here to send out some cheers
as Laura's Big day quickly draws near...
She's 5 days away from turning SIX-O
But looking at her, it sure doesn't show.
I promise to make this speech really brief,
as not to cause you very much grief.
You've waited for this moment all of your life,
21,900 days to be precise.
I used that number to be more kind,
cause a half-million plus hours is a very long time.
From raising two boys, to helping your brothers, you mean so much to us as well as to others.
You've guided, supported, and wiped many tears,
mended and lended, and cut many hairs,
and today you are honored with food, wine and beers.
(So, please stay 'till the end, we'll need help folding chairs).
The Polish Hall said we could throw no confetti,
so sorry for that, but enjoy the spaghetti.
We ordered balloons and clowns by the dozens,
the balloons never showed but we've still got your cousins.
We've kept this clean and tried to be kind
cause we both know better, you'd kick our behinds!
So on with the party, the music and fun
this is my cue, that it's time to run.
But there's so many things I'd still like to say,
but I've gone on for too long for your hair has turned grey!
On and on I could go, things to say there are plenty,
but we'll stick to the facts-you are 3x20.
So lets all raise our glasses and give a big cheer,
for Laura has graced us with 60 fine years!!
Happy Birthday Mom.

Then, Steve took the mike and was prepared, after a few jokes, to present a video, complete with snap-shots, background graffiti, and music. Poking lots of fun at the fact I was a scorpion, and listing what their characteristics are like, everyone laughed because, I could see they know me well. It was also the politics of the time, as I was born on an election day, and, the costs of things as they were at that time. It included famous people born then, and of course, my name was listed. They laughed when they saw the record (33rpm's), but little did they know I used to play "I'm A Puppy" on the Columbia label- 78's. They were thicker and smaller, and not flexible.

The car in one of the photo's, was the same one that Angie's dad, fixed up recently, and is so proud of, featuring it in Antique shows. He gave a lot of credit to his girlfriend, Jean, who worked on it with him until one a.m. in the morning, then both of them worked full-time jobs. Angie and Bill, Steve and Jean all deserve a lot of credit putting this together. It was a fabulous night, and if they wanted to make me feel loved and appreciated, they did an outstanding job. They even played my favorite song, by the Dave Clark Five, "Because, I Love You."

Thanks to all my friends and cousins, Aunts, nieces, nephews, and to the many others who came to my party. You made me feel "special" on a special night. I won't forget how thoughtful you all are, and what a wonderful family we have. And, I hope you all know how much I appreciate and love each one of you.

Steve did not forget the other song that I've enjoyed through the years, often singing it to them when they were young, by the Beatles, (Abbey Road). It's the words that are so meaningful at the end of the tune. They go something like this:
And in the end
the love you'll take
is equal to the love
you make.

Ditto. That is what it is all about....

2 comments:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.