See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Monday, November 10, 2008

Musings of a toddler

It is totally amazing the amount of knowledge that Nathan displays at his age. After lunch, when it had warmed up to about forty degrees, I dressed him up to go for a walk down the street, to get the exercise that he is accustomed to. While we walked, it was time for a serious talk. Like, "grampy doesn't get mad," Nate said. No wonder he loves grampy so. (That was then, but when Grampy caught Nate hitting and pushing grandma, when he got home from work, it was time for a time out.)

It was time to pick-up leaves and toss them in the air. I remember doing that as a child, but it wouldn't have dawned on me to that now. We kicked our way through the leaves, calling it fun. Yet, he knew not to go into the road. He said, "we went to church and I heard all the people singing." That impressed him!

On the way back he asked me for the rake and the barrel. The rake is the size that you use to clean between bushes, and its very light. The amazing thing is that he understood how to use it. Then, he placed the leaves in the barrel. We filled it up. These were the stragglers that remain in the garden along the side of the driveway. Starting to rain, we went into the house.
Many times that afternoon he said, "we worked." Even at that age, and like most men, his work is important to him. He was proud of his accomplishment.

It wasn't long after, he had difficulty closing the bathroom door, as I have a rack over the top, you have to pull or push it closed. But, he was checking it out to find the "problem".

Now, he is able to get the rather heavy stool, so he can place it by the computer to see what's going on. He has an intense desire to learn. I've found him using the mouse, and he knows how to direct the arrow and click on target. He understands the world icon, and shows me how the computer is "reading" the program, looking at the tower. When he sees the red X on the on the monitor located on the task bar, he says, "it's not ready".

When going to bed tonight, he questioned me about the heating system, asking about the noises, and telling me it was a "water system". We have forced hot water.

When washing his hands, he pointed out the hot side and the cold side, telling me that we turn off the hot first. After drying his hands, he puts the stool back, then off to sit in my chair, which he now calls "mine," meaning his, and he will fight for what belongs to him. It is amazing that he understands what a clicker is and can turn the TV off and on, and find channels. Ah! clicker, man's best friend.

You'd almost get the impression that he is all grown up, but when you tuck him in to bed, he asks for the light on, and the door left open, and it's Pepper, Snoopy Brown and Snoopy White, and a Yellow Dog which he hasn't named yet. Then, the questions begin again, "Where is his blue airplane?" (left in my car), and if that wasn't enough, he proceeds to tell me all the model numbers. And, did I see the smoke stack on the truck? He misses nothing. Knows the names of the trucks, what they do. He's loves sports and watches the game with grampy.

Asking for his yellow blanket, it's tucky bunny time. That was only a small amount of what I observed today, and I wondered what else was going on in his little mind.

No comments: