See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Day

Today a storm of thoughts filled my heart of traditions past, and of course the present day.

No matter how little we had as children, our parents always made Thanksgiving a great day. My mom would wear a beautiful dress. Talk was always about the traditional football game. If they lost, we ate crow, and if they won, it was turkey of course.

If we went to my grandmother's apartment, we were divided up and ate in small groups, beginning with the children. My grandmother made the best pies. She had prize -winning recipes published in books.

I can still hear her say that she wanted the part of the turkey that went over the fence last. She loved fat. (It took me a while to get it.)

The girls were given aprons to wear, as we did all the clean up, not the boys. The men would smoke cigars and talked. There was a lot of French spoken, so we didn't always know what the older ladies were talking about.

I'm still not well, so John and I stayed home, although we were invited to several parties. Steve's girl Jean, received her two grandsons early today, as their mom went to the hospital to have another child. A day no one will forget I'm sure.

My oldest son called early this morning. He is always the first to think about me. His son Nate was watching the Macy's parade, like me. He was so happy and extended his wishes to grandma, and grampy, Happy Thanksgiving. Such a sweet voice. Later they were going to her mom's to get together with a rather large family.

Tonight I heard the song, Sunrise, Sunset. Quickly go the years, ........full of happiness and tears. A great movie, which I'm glad I had a chance to watch.

Other greetings came over the Internet, and to all, my heart is with you. Happy Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.