See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Monday, November 3, 2008

Colorful Cheeks

Nathan and I played outside today, which produced great health benefits, as well as pink cheeks. Running around is good for your heart, and it keeps you warm on a cold day. Usually, Nathan comes to grandma's but today, I went to his house. It's a good thing I had the two-year-old was with me or I'd be lost.

Nathan knew where every light switch was, the flatware and dishes for our food, and just about anything I needed to know. It was so cute the way he tells me this is the kitchen, I like it. Showing me the flooring. (Just like a man). And then, looking out of the sliders, "what happen to mommy's tomatoes?" And, look at the leaves falling down. You wonder what goes through their minds. We're used to it, and it's all so new to them.

We began the day playing cars, and then watched "Noggin," both upstairs and down. Upstairs, we played with the toys in the man room, colored in our car coloring book, and then we took the sizzors out and cut, counted ten pieces, and wrote the number on each one. We placed them in a pile, then I asked him for each one beginning with the number one. Not only can he count, but he identified all of the numbers, colors, and alphabet. I constantly asked him, how do I, (testing him), and he knew.

We played, outdoors with a huge blue ball, almost bigger than him, and because the driveway goes down to the end of the street, grandma chased the ball. I haven't done that much running in a long time. He told me that he was not allowed to go in the street because of the cars. I knew kindergarten kids who didn't know that. We walked around the house, into the woods, just to throw away leaves. Then, picking up sticks we sent them flying into the tree well. Out came the watering can, because he said, while looking at the potted mums, "they need to drink". Later, we played basketball, then out came the lawnmower, and front loader.

He is at a stage when he loves working in the sand and so it's continually filling the dump truck, and dumping it again. It was done over and over until lunch. He ate and slept well. So did I, while reading a book.

The change in time meant indoor play after Nathan woke from his nap. So, we practiced baseball (ground balls), using a tennis ball. Then, cartoons and cars all over again.

Before you know it, it was snack time and then dinner. The days seem shorter already. I heard the phone ring, it was his dad, who earlier had showed me how to use the TV clickers, on both sets, and the phone, or I wouldn't know how to answer and call out. But it was Nathan who was able to find all the light switches, or we would have been sitting in the dark.

I'm so glad he didn't ask to see "Mighty Machines" today, because to be honest, the equipment was so technical, that I wouldn't have known how. Happily I know how to use the microwave, and flat-top range.

It is said that children are smart because they are exposed to the learning opportunities with others of all ages at day care facilities, but I think that it is the technology. I have never seen toys like his. He had the alphabet on the refrigerator, he put them in order, placed individual letters in a holder, which said the letter and sound it made. Amazing!

But the best part of the day was when I heard him say "no" to his father, and his father using words of wisdom, said to him. "Nathan, when you say "no" to mommy and daddy, what do we do?" Nathan said, "time out." Then his father said, "that's right" so, what word are you not going to say? And, of course Nathan, replied "NO." His father replied, "Good Boy."

I don't why I think that is so funny! Is it me? Or, are grandparents great observers? Remember the post I had a while ago, growing a short tongue, that was one of those moments.

Tonight, I will sleep well, pink cheeks and all.

No comments: