See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to all you dad's out there. This will be one father's day my oldest son, Bill, will not forget. It was the day that he and his family flew to Mexico.

The last air trip he and his wife Angie went on, was to the Keys and they were calling Nathan to explain that they had flown in one of the airplanes that he was accustomed to playing with. On Thursday, they took him to the airport to see the small planes and to grab a bite to eat at a local breakfast spot. Nathan probably got the surprise of his young life when he saw the jet airliners in Boston.

Just last summer he would look up at the sky and was afraid of the planes. Sometimes they are quite loud. They always got his attention. But, after his parents went on a trip to Florida, he told me that he wanted to go on the plane.

A couple of weeks ago, we had a festival in town and John and I took him to see what looked like Thomas the train. It was actually a $3.00 ride around the common. No, he wouldn't have anything to do with a ride. Of course, it made me wonder how he would do on a large jet for the first time. A rather lengthy trip for a three year old, layover and connecting flight and all the possible turbulent weather.

Grandmothers never stop thinking about the what if's you know, and given the previous question, was keeping my fingers crossed that all would go well. When he was leaving to go home yesterday, he remarked to his mom that "grandma has gone on many planes" and I knew that he was resolved. If it was okay for grandma then it was okay for him.

Several hours ago, Steve called to wish John a happy father's day and luckily I got the phone call first. Bill had called him from Atlanta to say that they had a good flight and that Nathan enjoyed it very much. I am relieved and looking forward to hearing all the stories. Right now, I'm sure he is out like a light sleeping somewhere as they left home around 4:00 A.M.

Nathan and I love the beach. I'm sure he will enjoy the white sands of Mexico, while at the same time, I will be enjoying the white sands of Maine. We sure will have a lot to talk about the next time were together.

I will not have needed a passport to enjoy the sandy beach of the Atlantic, though. Hopefully, we both will be soaking up the sun, Nathan digging with the pail and shovel he got at the parade a few weeks ago, and grandma digging in on my long shore walk.

No comments: