See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Unexpected Finding

I woke up to a very cool bedroom this morning. I usually change my bedding this time of the year as summer approaches, and along with this season, horrendous heat and humidity. The lighter coverings are perfect through the fall. Yet, this morning I was in a hurry to find my robe. Wearing just a thin gown to bed, the top sheet and comforter, were inadequate for forty degrees.

Rushing to the window of the living room I peeked out to find the sun already out and yet, so early in the morning. Then I looked down to see what all the fuss was. It was probably that noise which got me up in the first place.

Looking down from the picture window I noticed a rounded lump on the lawn, to the left of my garden, teaming with roses and colorful flowers. What is that? I thought. It looked like a muskrat or possum. No, it was the birdhouse. The gourd had fallen from the dwarfed red Japanese maple tree. Immediately, I checked to see if the wind had picked-up but it had not. In fact, it was picture still.

Every morning at this time, the mother wren is busy bringing food to her chicks and they are quite noisy. She tirelessly delivers goodies to them, but not today. There she was wondering how to get to them as the hole faced the ground. I could see her concern as she moved back and fourth with a substance hanging from her mouth.

During the past week, if you ventured next to her nest, she would swoop down close to you defiantly making a racket like she owned the place. Now how would she react if we were to get close to her family?

I was grateful that John retrieved the natural bird house and replaced it on the "S" hook provided on the limb. He could hear a lot of peeping going on. I'm sure the little birds were startled by the fall. The mother hurried to the entrance and began to feed the young.

All day long we noticed the amount of noise around the nest. Apparently she must have called for help from her bird friends. "Birds of a feather flock together."

Later today, I thought I saw a young bird flapping it's wings around, almost double speed. These birds are small to begin with and are almost full size when flying from the nest. Perhaps one of them caused the gourd-shaped house to fall down. It always amazes me how many birds are sheltered in such a small environment in the first place.

So, they got a rocky start. Hope all will be well. Perhaps a new gourd will needed to be purchased as I thought I noticed a crack forming down the front of that one.

Someone told me last week when speaking about a child present, "It's better to learn young that life is tough". This is true. It is for the most part, eventful and challenging. Maybe that is what keeps you on your toes and makes life fun and worthwhile. It's the small joys you experience and cute little stories that you encounter, one post at a time. For sure, it's anything but easy facing life's unexpected happenings.

No comments: