See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Window Cleaning

What a wonderful time of the year, when you can open your windows and let in the clean air. It's June and the pollen that prevented window opening in May, is past. I enjoy this time of the year when I can get out of bed in the morning and sit outdoors with a fresh cup of coffee. First, I throw open the drapes and let the sun come in. With that said, that's when the positives end, and I find myself staring at the crusted over windows with tons of soot. When your home alone, that's when you see all the dirt.

It definitely is a combination of the wood and coal burning stove of my neighbor and the pollens which dominate the air in May. On Tuesday, I scrubbed the windows at least three times with a well-known window cleaner and rinsed with my jet spray, wiping them thoroughly, then replacing the screens. I wonder if you can appreciate the labor of trying to reach the picture window from each side window. Needless to say, I work hard at what we have always called "spring cleaning." On Tuesday, my family came over for dinner, and as they sat in the living room, we couldn't help but see the film that was left behind. I was certain that I got it all, taking precautions not to wash the windows in the sun, knowing that it would cause streaking.

If you know me, then you know that I would wash them over again. So, this morning after the threat of rain, about nine o'clock, I removed the screens and rewashed the windows. This time using the old-fashioned method, vinegar and newspaper.

There isn't a better way that I know of, (the proof is in the putting). They shine like mirrors and there are no streaks. This time of the year I find intensely busy. In between the four loads of laundry, and dishwashing, dinner and gardening, it was a full day.

Tomorrow, I hope to wash the remaining windows. Still haven't caught up to my ironing, but the closets and storage areas have been cleaned and the winter clothes have been exchanged with summer attire. I hope to clean the oven and refrigerators, and make my husband's favorite cookies.

Next week, it will be time to wash the rugs. I enjoy having everything clean and in its place, after all, there is no place like home. There is a great satisfaction at a job well done.

No comments: