See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Saturday of Souls

Today we began with a church service for those who have died in our family, as well as friends and those we did not know. It was also a special day in our town as we had a festival. While taking our grandson to the parade, my brother rode by on his bike and stopped to have a few words with me. He was with his son, Matthew. Jayne his wife was walking with us for a short time, then went to look at some of the crafts tables.

John, my youngest brother, mentioned that it was D-Day a day that we don't forget in our family. When I was a young child, my mom would take us around the cemeteries to talk about those she remembered and one particular soldier, who was buried close to her father, her "uncle Charlie." John talked about Uncle Charlie today. Uncle Charlie was the half brother of my grandfather. I didn't know either one of them. My grandfather was born in the year 1895 and Charlie October 4, 1918. They were 23 years apart yet they were close. My grandfather Stanley and his wife Valida adopted Leo, their son in 1919. That made his son closer in age to his half brother Charlie than himself.

Life was very difficult in those days. It was during WWII with it's impending threat that hung over their heads and was on their minds and hearts.

Young Charlie was listed as an Army enlistee, Ft. Devens, MA in Feb. 26, 1942 with the rank of Pvt. Warrant officer. He knew that his life along with his friends, would make a difference in this world. Freedom is worth the fight. So, on D-Day June 6, 1944, Charlie was killed in action during the invasion of Normandy, where he gave his life at the age of 26.

In 1945 my grandfather passed away at the age of 50, eighteen months later. My grandfather came to this country to know freedom. Charlie was born here and died abroad so you can know freedom.

I'm no longer the little girl looking at the flag on Charlie's grave, but I haven't forgotten. Peace does not come without a price. Happiness is worth fighting and dying for, let us not forget.

I didn't know you, uncle Charlie, but I thank you for your bravery and sacrifice. I will continue to remember you. A new Honor Roll Monument on Main Street, proudly displays your name.

Across this great nation, families are recalling their loved ones today, as they too recall D-Day known as the longest day.

1 comment:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.