See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Friday, June 12, 2009

The Italian Bakery

If someone were to come by today they'd swear that they were in an Italian Bakery. Actually on Sunday, our church, (St. Michael's) will have a blessing for both godparents and grandparents. We certainly are both. Following the church service refreshments will be served, pic-nic style.

The menu will be hot dogs and hamburgers, potato salad, baked beans, macaroni- cheese tortellini salad, tossed salad, a dip or two and baked goods.

I've made a combination cherry-blueberry Crustada. It is a cake-like pie. Then I made oatmeal-raisin cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and my favorite Italian "pillow" cookies. These are made with anise flavoring, frosted and have colored sprinkles on them. Then by popular request a classic pizzelle recipe.

I so wanted to make biscotti but we have to be careful for "peanut allergy." I possibly will have a few other things but it is odd how through the years I have made the same goodies for various occasions. Also missing, will be my mom's special cookie recipe-the peanut butter kiss. I always loved giving kisses away I guess. Most Italians are affectionate and friendly. They like to greet and hug at the door, and I still recall all the cheek pinching.

My mom was a great cook. She learned from her French mother who won many bake-offs. So besides my many Polish and French dishes that she passed on to me, are the countless Italian cuisine learned growing up in an Italian neighborhood. It's never boring around here in the kitchen. I make many pita's as well as those favorite traditional American dishes.
Chinese? Now that's where I draw the line. We eat out. Tonight at the pub, we will have Irish-Scottish fare, and meat on a Friday.

If your in the neighborhood, Sunday, Liturgy is at 9:00 AM. Stop on by after church in our fellowship hall to say hello. Join us for a goody or two. We'd love to have you.

1 comment:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.