See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Friday, June 19, 2009

Summer is coming

Tonight is summer. I feel it in my bones. Just a saying but nevertheless, the humidity is back and the tree frogs are noisy. Today has been hair curling in many ways.

I made a spinach pita so my mother-in-law would have something that she likes to eat this week, that is after Nathan and I had lunch. We spent some time at the church hall, removing the dead flowers, making fresh pots and folding table covers. After quickly sweeping the floor, it was home to watch his favorite move Madagascar.

Time goes quickly when your busy and before we knew it, we were off to buy rhubarb for a strawberry-rhubarb pie. I promised my mother-in-law I'd make one as it is her favorite. Meanwhile, Nathan remembered the promise that we'd take him to MacDonald's if he was a good boy. So, off we went the three of us.

I just took the pie out of the oven, perfect. While we got Nathan comfortable and ready for bed, he wanted his stuffed dog, Wagon. John thought he saw it on the bed. I didn't believe he brought it over today. We searched high and low for something that is probably comfortably on his own bed at home. Of course, he wanted Wagon. If you've ever experienced this, you get the point. We checked everywhere, even the trash cans, closets and draws. It didn't just walk away, now did it?

He was out the minute he hit the pillow. Nathan had another big day, so did grandma.

They are predicting rain until Thursday, yet we managed to drink in some sun today and it was most welcomed. I saw the yellow finch once again, which makes me so happy to see them return. They sing beautifully. We will have to make sure tomorrow that the feeders are in place.

Unfortunately the Wren's house developed more than a crack, with the rain, it is wide open and the cat which frequents here, (we call him Blacky after a cat that Steve, and Bill adopted from Bob), who has been waiting impatiently for the nest to give out. I'm routing for the baby birds to fly off. I managed to trim the bushes and prune my roses, and the gardens are lush and tropical looking. The colors are vivid like those found in Maine, near the ocean.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to catch every bit of the news, especially in Iran. I really feel for those young people. They have the right idea. It won't be easy, but liberty is worth fighting for and it is long overdue. It calls to mind Patrick Henry, "give me liberty or give me death." The Iranians have had a taste of freedom. I like seeing the pictures that have been provided on Face book, the peace sign with one inked finger and the other, a green one. Iraq will be a beacon of hope for them. I hope they will find the courage in their quest for freedom. They are on my mind and in my prayers.

Tomorrow, Saturday the 2oth of June will mark twenty-three years of marriage for us. We met in 1984 which just seems like yesterday. John was in sales, a recent college graduate and I had taken a new job as a graphic designer at a newly formed company. We married in 1986 one month after becoming Orthodox. Talk about unexpected changes in one's lifestyle. You never know what lies ahead these days especially, so you've got to make the most out of every day, even the rainy ones.

No comments: