See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Friday, March 5, 2010

Happy Moments

Some of the happiest moments that I spend is with my grandson, Nathan. Yesterday, he came over to see his grandma, ringing the doorbell as usual and waiting in anticipation of our greeting. He always has a big smile on his face, and usually walks right past me to "his" room of toys, because he misses them. It's not long after that he is asking for food, and as usual, it is waffle toast. Well because grampy forgot to buy some at the store, I offered to make pancakes. He Cried. Nathan is set in his ways already, a person that does not like change. I made them anyway. Of course, he had to bring his table and chair in to the entertainment room and set it in front of the computer, where he likes to view a DVD while eating breakfast. So, it was pancakes with syrup and cream. One look at them, he decided to give it a try. "Um, I like pancakes." So much for the tears. It was also chocolate milk. Of course, I was to watch the DVD "Up" with him. A very good selection, I must add. I noticed that he is reading now and can name various parts of cars, planes and says large words like ridiculous. He is mastering the English language quite well, for four. I told him tomorrow was Friday, so what is today? He said Thursday. Amazing! He wants to do eveything himself now..."I can do it, grandma" my big boy is growing up.

We played ball, made puzzles, read books and it was time for going outside. We decided not to go to see the airplanes today, because we really didn't hear too many flying and we didn't want to be disappointed. Nathan would have gone just to see the wind socks and his favorite orange plane. Although it was warm enough, the sky was grey and tiny snowflakes were falling occasionally. We decided that it would be fun to walk down the street and look into all the catch basins. When he was a baby he always wanted to stop and listen to the water running while I pushed him in the carriage. Now, he walks without complaint along side me, noticing everything and every sound, birds, basketball hoops and even the plastic turtle with a flag that was missing at a neighbor's house. He still loves the flag, and chimes and birdhouses.

I took time to show him the baby buds forming on the ends of the forsythia, which will soon be ready to sprout open to beautiful yellow flowers. We saw tons of pine cones on the lawns of neighbors which had fallen from their pine trees. Luckily, we don't have any. Every now and then he would call my attention to an airplane, "I hear One" he would say looking up. He knows the difference between an airplane and jet and he lets me know which one it is.

Of course, he loved the dirt and dreamed aloud of the time he would soon be able to bring his trucks outdoors to play in the dirt along with thoughts of the swing, his other favorite outdoor activity.

It won't be long now, I told him as we viewed a huge pussy-willow bush in full bloom. He was amazed and I explained that soon there would be green leaves where the white furry buds were. Our adventure did not end up at McDonald's as he would have liked, but at grandma's for lunch. Initially, he was disappointed and didn't want to come upstairs, and then after taking off his boots hat, mittens and coat, left them on the living room floor, stating "I'm mad." I let him get over it and we had lunch. The fresh air increases his appetite, and as usual, he did a pretty good job.

All good things must come to an end and it was time to go home with mommy. He can't wait until he can go to the airport to see the planes and have breakfast once again with grandma.
I can't either. The snow did not accumulate and in fact, the driveway and stairs were completely dry today with the rest of the snow dissipating on the lawn.

He remembered the flowers of last fall, his favorite orange, and how he picked some for his mommy to put in a vase, because he loves her. He enjoys the garden with it's chimes, and Chippy, wrens and finches of all colors and oh yes, we mustn't forget the bugs, worms, dogs and kitty.

No comments: