See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Static or Peace

We are all called to live a calm and peaceful life, so which is it, a life of static or of peace, are you living? Better yet, where's the peace? Everywhere you go there seems to be unpleasant noise. People are upset with many things, mostly politically caused static.

The year I was born television came into the world, so I was told, and now you know that, I've been around long enough to see many changes. I remember better programs and wholesome ads and family oriented shows. Things were not so vulgar. It is very different now, I have noticed that things have gotten mighty loud. I'm not just talking about my neighbor's loud music on Saturday mornings while he cleans cars. I don't even hear the language that I don't know anymore because I've learned to tune that out of my mind. I'm referring to the patience of many that have grown tired of the unfairness to us all. How can bills that have not been read in its entirety be voted on? Why are they so big to begin with? What has become of dignity? Looks like battle lines are being drawn. People you don't accomplish anything that way.

Peace can only come when you learn to tune out all the static around you. If it is the television that upsets you, hearing the same news on every channel over and over, turn it off. It's not worth your health. This is the Lenten season, I don't care to hear the madness of what has transpired, with the fighting continually upfront and squarely influencing my every thought with negative vibes and disturbing statements that are making us all crazy. Out of that can only come violence and unpleasantness. My father used to call the TV the "devil box." Some said that he was crazy. Maybe there was some wisdom in that after all.

My mother had it right. "Be Quiet!" The bible says (Matthew 6:3)"Do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.") Now there's some wisdom for today. Be careful what you share. How often do we look to other's for their thoughts on something, even before we tell them how we feel? If we agree, then everything is fine and dandy, otherwise, we say nothing because we do not want conflict, or we say far to much, causing our brother to grow angry. Before you know it, we're fighting again. We know what's best, after all.

We live in difficult times, and find that we are divided. Divided as a nation, family and with friends. This creates a dangerous and growing threat to peace and love, and well being.

I often hear people tell me, "if you don't like something, get involved to enact change." Inside I still hear my mother's voice saying "Be quiet" because stillness allows me to concentrate on the sounds of nature, and on the readings of the saints in this holy season. Today is especially quiet as the television is off and as I prepare to celebrate the great feast day of the Annunciation.

Reflection of this occasion finds me recalling the words of Angel Gabriel when he visits Mary the holy and obedient of God. He finds it difficult to look upon her beauty. I find that moment to be very special, the moment she agrees to be the mother of God. (Luke 1:30)"Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God." (38)"Then Mary said, "Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word." The Orthodox Study Bible

It's all we need to do, accept God's will for us. Yes, there will be rainy days, and tense moments and they will all pass. Be still and listen to the Alleluia verse for the feast day of the Annunciation.
"He descends like the rain on the grass like showers that water the earth! May His name be blessed forever, His name continue as long as the sun!" Liturgy book of St. John Chrysostom

The truth is that we should be mindful of the things we are in control of. Think good thoughts and be gentle like the rain on the grass-bringing water to the root without harming the plant. So that plant, that springs from the ground, will bring forth life and provide nourishment and beauty in its days in the sun.

It all begins with you.

No comments: