See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Vegetarian Chili

Last night we had our pre-Sanctified Liturgy, as is our custom, we were invited to commune together in our church hall for a Lenten pot-luck meal which is meatless and dairy free. When I first became Orthodox I had food allergies and so abstaining from egg and dairy were an everyday event. Seventeen years passed and so did my allergies through the grace of God. Working mothers find cooking for a family according to the fast to be a hardship, if they do not plan ahead. It was not our culture or tradition, so I needed to start from scratch gathering recipes from cookbooks, friends, trial and error. I now have many quick recipes that fit our lifestyle and are enjoyed by family members and friends year round. Last night I made Vegetarian Chili. It is easy, nutritious, and economical to make. I was asked several times for the recipe, and so here it is, from my kitchen to yours.

1-4 0z. pkg. of Millie's Chili Mix with beans
2 Cups of warm Water
1 Can of Tomato Sauce, (80z.) and (1/2 Can of Water)
2 Cups of Chi-Chi (med.)
1 Cup of Vegetarian Beans, drained (Heins)
8 Veggie Patties, cooked and cut in sm. pcs. (Morning Star)


Place in a crock-pot and cook down, stirring occasionally until thickened.
Serve with corn-chips or cornbread.

Mix contains: No meat, No MSG, No Transfat, No Cholesterol
Patties (optional), contain: soy, wheat, egg and milk

1 comment:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.