See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cooking Italian Style

Today I was in my glory so to speak, remembering the scents of my childhood, cooking my Italian favorites. Belicimo!

It's funny that my sauce comes out almost identical each time, without a recipe. My mom made it so often, that it's chiseled in my brain. The whole day needs to be spent cutting up parsley, garlic, onions, and other spices which are slowly cooked in a pot on the stove until thickened. The meatballs are my specialty. I make them large enough with plenty of parsley, onion and garlic, egg and bread crumbs, then form and toss them in a pan of olive oil to brown before baking in the oven. This quickens the process and assures that the meat will be thoroughly cooked. Also the procedure keeps the the meatballs from falling apart, while maintaining their softness inside. A half hour in the oven at a moderate temperature, then right into the hot sauce. Serve at once with pasta, salad, and grated cheese.

My neighbors once complained that my cooking was driving them crazy, especially the Italian dishes.

Dessert tonight was Italian Pizzelles. The Italian Pizzelle recipe was made with anise flavoring. You can make them into cones, and fill them with strawberries, other fruit, or just cream. Some just sprinkle the pizzelles with confectionery powder.

Like all good things in life pisano, it takes time and is best shared over a glass of wine.

1 comment:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.