See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Just call me kitchen blessed

Last week at coffee hour at our church the subject came up about baking for Saturday's Mothers day bake sale. It will be more of the same, that is according to all the ads I've heard on the radio and in the newsprint.

I was timidly suggesting making sugar-free or (zero-calories from sugar) cookies, stating that we do not offer diabetic, heart healthy varieties. They are available in most stores now, using splenda. It is an art to be able to produce goodies with this type of sweetener as it compares little with the sugar that we are accustomed to using. I decided to make a healthy oatmeal raisin cookie to begin with, not knowing what the demand is.

In the last two days I have learned that three more people have developed this disease. Tonight one the ladies called to ask if I had made the cookies as someone at the hairdressers mentioned that her husband is diabetic and she wondered if we would have anything for him.

The product will not have bleached flour, have splenda instead of sugar, less salt and canola oil, for protecting the heart. I included raisins for a nutritious sweetener and color. Now to decide how much each. If these desserts prove beneficial to the public, I will introduce a new line of cooking at all bake sales.

I have a feeling that they will be well received by those who need to be watchful of their sugar intake, and appreciate them as much as I do.

No comments: