See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Monday, May 11, 2009

Visitors on Mother's Day

It has always been a tradition to visit mom on Mother's Day. I recall it would start with Church on Sunday morning, where at one time we wore a flower in honor of our mother. If it were that mom was no longer with us, it was a white flower, otherwise pink. So, it usually begins with a flower.

Yesterday, I received a beautiful rose from our cantor at coffee. This is the second year he remembers the mothers with a rose. It doesn't take a lot to make someone happy, sometimes all you need is a kind word, or a phone call. Mother's go out of their way all year long to cheer up, support and comfort many in their presence in various ways. I hope that every mom was remembered largely.

We would always have a meal together, and Sunday dinner didn't have to be fancy as long as we were all together. Years later, when I had my two sons, we would go to visit grandma with lilacs on her special day.

I had a full weekend beginning with the Mother's bake sale, which being a small group, we worked especially hard at making several items. I made two zucchini, blueberry breads and an oat/wheat flour, onion and chive bread, and heart healthy, (diabetic) zero calories from sugar, oatmeal raisin cookies. We had an early morning appointment out of town on Saturday, a chicken barbecue in the early evening which was followed by a concert in Worcester. We were planning on a quiet day on Sunday, having picked up a roast at BJ's Saturday afternoon.

It is the same for me as it was for my mom. Everyone just calls and comes by. I had my oldest son and grandson for lunch, and my youngest for dinner. It was so cute sitting on the stools in the kitchen having lunch, only to be reminded by a three-year old that we forgot to say the prayer. Grampy said it this time, and we noticed that Nate is already starting to make the sign of the cross, and say some of the "Our Father" and he is quick to add his prayers when called upon. The little girl named Ava is pretty lucky to have a friend Nate that names her first, always. We are blessed to have such a wonderful family.

Today, I finally fertilized my rose bushes and cut one back as it looks like we will need to pray for it's revival. Also, I put in a couple of flowering plants. We go slowly at this time of the year, as we still can get a frost until the end of May.

I also got a huge plant from Steve, a daisy type with orange and yellow flowers. Those annuals are good until fall. If it grows any more it will be humongous. Bill and Angie gave me a window box with plants such as oregano, mint, thyme, and basil. Everyone that knows me, knows that I will get a lot of use out of those herbs. In fact, I used Oregano in my salad today. I also tried cilantro, which I purchased at the supermarket. It can be frozen, if it doesn't go in the basket. It's one you either like or not.

Angels always follow me. I got an angel pin for grandmother's from Nathan. And, and beautiful decorative angel for my dresser, which reads: "Angels often come to us as grandmothers." He explained how he decorated the envelope, N is for Nathan, and there were circles everywhere in his favorite colors. The personal touch, he's learning.

I was by myself cleaning up last night, all the men in my life were probably sleeping, and I thought myself "lucky" to be loved by all of them.

1 comment:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.