See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Growing a Short Tongue

A very wise lady gave me some much needed advice which I adhere to for the most part. I resented too much interference from the mother-in-law as I raised my children. It is wrong to undermine what the parents are trying to teach their child. Growing a short tongue means just that. Instead of adding your two cents where they may not be welcomed, bite your tongue. I guess, if you do that as many times as I have, the tongue begins to grow short.

I always say to my grandson, "what does mommy and daddy say about that?" "Does mommy say that it's okay?" "Lets ask mommy if you can have it?" "Mommy, can Nathan have this?"

The only real authority figures should be his parents, especially, when they are present. When they aren't it's boss #1 and boss #2. Or, if the parents leave instructions, then its "the rule is," "and your parents want" no matter where you are.

Angie and I communicate how and when he needs to be disciplined, (time outs they are called now). That decision making process is based by rules set-up for him, that coordinate with his day-care provider. If he doesn't get away with it there, he doesn't at home either. (Like the no hitting rule).
My mom would have added the "in my house rule."

A few weeks ago, when we got together to share dinner in grandma's house, we established one of those rules. I explained before dinner, we will need not to scream, but be quiet until we are finished our prayers. Or, no dessert! Do You Understand? He said very sweetly, "yes." Now at prayer time, he even folds his little hands, and adds "Amen."

I remember my mom only needed to give us a look. We understood what was on her mind. Communication at its best! And it was as I remember, a different method.

No comments: