See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Kiss The Boo-Boo

The tiny baby came into this world and he was a wonder. So much to learn, and so much for me to relearn. It was a rough ride and the unnamed child would need to be comforted. Thats just the beginning. When he was small it seems he didn't make much noise, sleeping most of the time. Looking back, I was repeating the same process that I encountered in my childhood, helping to raise my youngest brother while my mom worked full-time or like most, all of the time, except when she took cat naps for ten minutes or so. Then, came my own children, and now the grandchild. As they grew older the crying grew louder. Because there were no words, it meant pick me up if you want sanity. The pattern is the same generation after generation. We call it crawling some call it peeping, you might have your own term for starting to advance on the floor, first etching forward and lastly getting the back end up and rocking to advance inches at a time. It is all so mysterious and interesting to watch how hard the baby must work. I happened to notice how certain times of the day he would just exercise parts of the body that would prepare him for the next phase in this process called development. Then it happened. Oops! little injuries, like falling on his face. I do believe the next action was mine--kiss the boo-boo. The little comfort provided seemed to do the job, and the crying stopped for the moment. That is how it all begins and never ends. This process requiring comfort changes as children grow older, but follows us into our adulthood. Their are many ways to kiss the boo-boo that I have learned.
We all need to be comforted in some way. Some methods you have heard of, like cookies. Cookies are tear stoppers for most children and men. Eating for comfort or comfort foods are probably why some people are overweight, beside the galanans a subject for another day. I recall just yesterday, that my little grandson hit his head lightly on an outdoor patio chair, he immediately began to wail, looking to be comforted. This time all it required was the words "your all right", while he looked me in the eye. Sometimes that is all it takes. Someone to kiss the boo-boo. Someone they trust to tell them that all is well. Until next time.

2 comments:

Fr. Peter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.