See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Why Can't We Just Get Along

On Sunday, Fr. Ken ended his sermon with the words, "why can't we just get along?" Probably heard his mom say that often, as kids will be kids.

Nathan goes to a day-care close to his home, and from what I hear about it, it is top-notch. He tells me stories about Miss Linda. I hear about his little friend, and I'll attempt to say his name, although I'm not sure, Shiev. On occasion Nathan would say that he hits baby Matthew, distinguishing him from big Matthew. That means "time out" for Nate. It is good that his parents receive a full report of the goings on there. Miss Linda must have her hands full, God Bless Her.

I've often wondered how Nathan learned to "hit." Or, does it fall from the sky? No, I'm convinced that it is a learning experience amongst little children, all part of growing up. As there were five children in our family, I know well that we were always antagonizing each other, arguing, fighting and you name it. Don't get me wrong, we still loved each other. Everyone knew it they laid a hand on my brothers, they would have to answer to me.

On another day, I asked Nate if he hit little Matthew and he replied "yes." I proceeded to asked him if others in the day-care had hit him and he broke down and cried. I comforted him, seeing the obvious pain and said "I'm sorry." It was the right thing to say observing the response from Nate. A huge bear hug followed.

It is normal behavior. We must learn to say, "I forgive" just as "we're forgiven" in order to "let go" of the pain caused by others as well as ourselves. So, "Why can't we just get along?"

No comments: