See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

You Are What You Eat

We are fortunate to be located in what is known as "the last green valley." Our home sits on the Connecticut borderline, and if you've ever driven through Woodstock, it is a sight to behold. I love all the corn fields, farms with there silos, natural rock fences, and especially the orchards. The air is crisp and clear, this morning it was in the forty's. My roses are gorgious! Pretty soon there will be frost on the pumpkins, and the most beautiful fall foilage anywhere. God blessed me to be born here where the water is clean and we are surrounded by so many trees and lakes. In this country setting, as fitting for this time of year, in my small kitchen, it will be apple-waffles for breakfast. People that know me, especially my former neighbors, who moved away to the town of Charlton, would comment to others that they could smell my cooking and it drove them "crazy." (I cook the old-fashioned way, homemade). There are plenty of great coffees out there today and thats where I begin. The apples came from The Woodstock Apple Orchard. I eat the peel while preparing the batter. The peel is rich in pectin which helps keep the waistline trim. I use a coffee grinder to grind (one tablespoon) of cold milled organic flaxseed and 1/3 cup of old-fashioned oats, adding the mixture to 1/3 cup of heart smart Bisquick and water. Half of a small apple ( cut in small pieces), a touch of cinnamon, then I place the mixed batter in my waffle maker. Two wonderful waffles, and left over batter for tomorrow. Emm!
Nathan and Matthew love my cooking. I am the type of person that will fuss over you when you come here for a meal. Nothing but the "best for the best." Time for a cute story?...
I used to take care of Matt when he was two, he'd eat at home then, once he arived here, he'd eat again. I didn't realize that he'd been having a full breakfast at home, the way he could put it down all those pancakes. The doctor, after a month, noticed how good Matt was doing, he had put some "meat on his bones." He said "I don't know what your doing, to his mom, "but keep on doing it." What an appetite Matt has! You should see the growing boy now that he is a teenager! My brother and sister-in-law adhere to the old- fashioned healthy way of cooking. Because, You are what you eat! John and Jayne have the best garden and flowers I have ever seen. Shortly, Nathan will be arriving at grandma's house. I know he's already had breakfast with mommy and daddy at home, but when he smells the cinnamon I'm sure he's going to be asking me for "more pancakes, please".

No comments: