See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Where is Love?

Where is love, does it come from up above or is it underneath the willow tree that I've been dreaming of? A song my sister sang in high school. I know then, we didn't know where love came from, but wanted to know. Our handsome guy someday we would meet.
(Some people still look up instead of within for love). We learn that God is love. God's love is unconditional, and beyond our understanding. It has nothing to do with physical beauty or age or any of the silly soap opera versions of it. It just is...
Ruth was the only sister I had, she had a daring personality. When we were little, I was afraid of the dark. It was "tootsie" who would say to me, "shut up I'm tired, go back to sleep" but then would allow me to talk to her for a while. That's love. She and I wore the same outfits, hand me downs from the twins that lived next door, as we were the same size. What was mom thinking? She was the a dark haired, olive skin beauty, while I was a pale blue-eyed blond. We fought for authority, fist fights in the backyard, even though I was a little older. Neither of us won, and we popped each other real good. She seemed to be the first in everything as far as maturing. She was the first one married. I remember that my mother strictly forbade us to shave our legs. (Mom was extremely old-fashioned). This was not acceptable to my sister, who was as a teen-ager in high school at the time --riddled because the leg hair was extruding through her stockings. One day after school, while mom was at work, she talked me into shaving. As we sat on the bathtub, she confided that if I did it too, mom wouldn't be as mad. Or, perhaps we would both be in the doghouse. She was right. I tried not to antagonize my mom, while she got right in her face. When my son's used to fight, and argue all the time, I remembered that it is normal for kids to behave in that manner, and that they'd be good friends one day. I was right. After all, it was my sister that helped me through a lot of the toughest moments in life, like my divorce. She was understanding about so many other things. And, although she had her hands full raising a family she was always there.
Love is a lot things, a decision to care, to give, untiring devotion to someone, unfailing in sickness, just being there. If you look you will find it. Love is in the heart, that's where love is.

No comments: