See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Time for a time out!

Today, I went to my ophthalmologists for tests. The usual dilation, measuring of the pressure in my eyes, and of course after the exam, photos of each eye. I learned that I am normal, at least that's what the tests said.

The subject today was disciplining my grandson. It seems he's gotten so good at understanding when he's done something naughty, he puts himself in the time out. He knows he'll be punished, but does it anyway. (Sounds a little like most of us).

I love to get to chat with the girls who work at the desk and perform the tests. Cindy has a four-year-old grandson, Nick who lives in Texas. She doesn't get to see him as much as she would like, but when they come to visit, she lays out the carpet.

After painstakingly cooking dinner for her family and guests, Cindy was disappointed at its outcome, and blurted out, "this sucks." Now that is not the right thing for a grandmother to say especially in front of her four-year-old grandson. She realized it, only after it came out of her mouth, but it was too late.

Little Nick, was shocked upon hearing the word and said to his grandmother, "that is a bad word" and, "we're going to have to give you a time-out." Cindy, having no choice, was led off to sit for a period of time, to think about it.

When the allotted time was done, little Nick came over and asked his grandmother if she had time to think about what she had said and was she sorry? Cindy replied, "yes." He asked her if she was going to do it again? "She said no".

Turnaround is fair play. Nick was right after all. I know a lot of adults that could use a time out from time to time. Oh Nick, where are you?

No comments: