See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Love of Your Life

We live in a raised ranch which means that there are many little steps to climb to get to the doorbell. A garden-style arrangement presents many opportunities to observe flowers, chives, ants, birdbaths and the like on the way up the incline. When Nathan was little he was accommodated first in a carrier and later, by mom or dad, and it wasn't long when he wanted to walk up by himself. Of course, this takes time, time that daddy doesn't have. He likes to see everything, what a little chatterbox. Remind you of anyone? (It's see the this and see the that,) I observe him from behind the curtain, peeking and giggling at the same time. Mostly, he loves to ring the doorbell. (Still has to be lifted up). I can see him waiting, his little hands going sort of in a wringing motion in anticipation. His little heart is racing.
Grandma is given a chance to open the door and to greet the little fellow with a big smile. And, as is expected by Nathan, the words of grandma, "who's that ringing my doorbell?" The first thing he says with an open grin is "it's grandma" and "grandma's house." Next, its the entrance, which he can now do without help, and here comes the huge hug. He is beaming and has expressed how happy he is to see me. Following the greeting of few words, he's off to the playroom to see his toys. That's all it took to make me feel "special." That is how it begins, loving grandma each and every time. Someday, it will be the same beaming smile and eagerness to see the love of his life, maybe with shaky excited hands. Will she be just beyond the doorbell? He will be in love. Just think what life would be like if everyone were to great us in this manner, (priceless). Or, at least be glad to see us when we call. I wonder if he thinks about me when we're not together, as I often think of those that I love. When I talk to his dad on the phone now, he is old enough to hold on for a few seconds. Sometimes I hear him pushing the buttons, but then he yells, "its grandma." I love to hear his voice. It makes me feel happy. He tries to have a conversation, and its getting better. Developing a conversation takes time. He drops the phone midstream and, daddy to the rescue. Sometimes he hangs up by accident. Whoops! there goes mom again. She is so patient with her little man. (Sometimes with her two boys). As it is with all men, they are at times, "little boys." Maybe thats why we love them so...He has wonderful, caring parents. He is one of the lucky ones. My grandchild is an only son, and the only child on our side of the family.
Twenty or so years ago, my sister used to call me from Connecticut. She had four children, was often ill, depressed and her husband worked out-of-town, or was away altogether. I was working at a full-time job locally and wondered why she called so often. To be honest, I didn't want to receive evening phone calls. One day I recall asking Ruth, (who passed away in her forties), why she called me so often, as I had little to say and I was so tired working on the phone most of the day. She said that when she called she could hear the joy in my voice. I sounded happy and that made her feel happy too.
As the lovers of mankind we are called to touch someone by our love? That's just what they may remember about you. Reaching out is easy when you love someone even when your tired, busy or just don't care to. And, it always begins with a smile.

No comments: