See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Monday, December 8, 2008

The Scenic Route

Had a wonderful ride today into what I call the Brookfields, and the scenic route. Still winding, old country roads, but for the most part well-paved.
It was nice and sunny around ten, and off to the garage to have my car repaired. Wouldn't you know it was thirteen degrees and slightly slippery, ice formed on my vehicle from yesterday's storm. It looked and crackled like an ice box.
Last week was ideal to drive out to have the car looked at. Unfortunately, we had to wait until the parts arrived. No one keeps inventory the way that they used to. Many manufacturers do not have the space, nor do they want to tie up the funds. The difference in the weather was like night and day, but it could have been worse. It could have been like yesterday, snowing. I didn't understand the inconvenience of having to drive a good distance to have to come back "next week," until today. You know, the cost of gas and all.
I had to pass by the lake, and it was already forming ice. The boats are gone, and so are the people. It is truly peaceful, but cold. The birds that I normally hear in summer are also gone for the winter. We've been noticing the geese flying in formation in a southerly direction for a while now.
I look forward to reading while I am waiting for my car. It never quite works out that way. God in His wisdom usually finds someone that needs to chat. Today was no different. Today, it was an elderly lady. I talked about the holiday, decorating the home and general things.
I learned that she was a widow of two years. Her husband was a physician. She had just gotten back from visiting several sisters who live in Turkey. She now had to concern herself with all car problems and many other tasks that her husband used to do for her. What stood out was that she said they never had a family. Her holidays are shared with her housekeeper, who decorates the tree.
You can have many things, material wealth, and still be lonely. They called her before me, as her car was ready. But, she sat there chatting, in fact, she walked out with me, waving and smiling. What did we talk about, her chauffeur and people cleaning around the limo. (small talk) I didn't even get her name, nor she mine. Somehow, I felt like I had given someone an early Christmas present. One not of my making, unexpected and unplanned for and it didn't cost anything. We parted like old friends.

1 comment:

linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.