See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

See Grandma, my eyes are really dark blue....not big brown ones like daddy

Ryan and friend

Ryan and friend
Mommy, Daddy, I'm saying Hi to Grandma?

This one is for you, Grandma!

Nathan

Nathan
soccer with determination and no airplane distractions

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Theotokos

The Virgin mother of God has always been close to me and our family I remember since my early childhood. I recall lighting candles at Sacred heart Church, in front of her statue as a very young girl. As a very young Roman Catholic, I remember kneeling around the bed with my family saying the rosary. You can't even get people to pray for you anymore. Nor, do they find time to go to church. Today, I use mostly the prayer rope, and Jesus Prayer.

My sister was equally devoted to the Virgin Mother of God. Once she prayed for an answer to something, asking Mary to produce a flower on a plant that we had in our room. The next day there was a blossom. I have shared my unusual dreams with priests, both Roman Catholic and Orthodox about the Holy Mother of God, who in all her humanity leads us to her Son, Jesus the Christ, the Son of the living God.

If you haven't already heard it, I recommend you listen to the newly recorded Shepherd of Souls podcast (39), here in which Fr. Peter interviews Fr. Nicholas Apostola on the subject of the Theotokos. (Check it out!) The word Theotokos is used solely for the Mother of God, Mary. The God bearer.

It was Mary, God's mother, I believe who led me to Orthodoxy, by a series of events in my life. (A long story). The day I walked into an Orthodox Church and saw the "Dormition of Mary" on an Icon stand, she was there to greet me. It was the come and see moment that I had been searching for, it seems for a lifetime.

What I experienced from that point on, is the fullness of the faith that had been missing from my life. Many unanswered questions were available through the Orthodox church. I have always wondered about the term the Immaculate Conception of Mary. That is what the Roman Church teaches about Mary. The Orthodox have a different view about the condition of mankind after the initial disobedience. We missed the mark and are cut off from the likeness of God. We still maintain in us our image of God. We do not use the term "original sin," as its implication is that one must be washed clean of the stain of this sin. We all sin and all have fallen short of the Glory of God. The biblical understanding is that Jesus was the only sinless one. If she was to be conceived immaculately, that would place her on the same level as Jesus. Then, why would we have need of Him? Fr. Nicholas called the term immaculate problemmatic for Orthodox. We believe that we are created in the image and likeness of God. The disobedience caused us to become separated from God, and we are renewed with a good conscience toward God in Baptism. We inherited our condition, missing the mark, as we all have been created with the gift of "free will." He does not force His love on any of us. Nor would he force Mary to be His mother. She decided to become the mother of God by saying: (Luke 1:38) "let it be to me according to your word." She could have said "no."

We celebrate the Conception of Mary in the womb of Anna, her mother. Mary was born under the same condition as us all, from two human parents, and, we all are to die, as the wages of sin are death and destruction, and Mary the Mother of God did die. This gives us hope, following in her footsteps.

Jesus took on our humanity in the womb of His mother, the Virgin Mary, heaven and earth were joined. He is the mediator for all. He does not need to be baptized, He is sinless, but in doing so sanctifies the waters and earth. The Trinity is revealed for the first time. He is the only begotten Son of God. We read in (John 10:17-18) "Therefore my Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father."

Mary the Ever Virgin Mother, sits on the right hand of God. (Ps. 45:9b-11)"At Your right hand stands the queen in gold from Ophir. Listen, O daughter, Consider and incline your ear; Forget your own people also, and your father's house; So the King will greatly desire your beauty; Because He is your Lord, worship Him". (Echoed in the Magnificat: "All generations will call me blessed" (Luke 1:48). Sung on feast days of Mary.

Christmas will soon be here. We have a deep reverence and love for Mary the mother of the most high God. It was her flesh that He took on, the flesh that He had made. He dwelt in her Virginal womb, He whom the world cannot contain. And she will nurse Him and love Him and make Him her world. And, we will worship Him. (John 1:14)"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."

What is the disposition of our heart. Is it still cold or has it been changed to hear the message of the Angels, filling the heavens and earth singing joyfully, as the star illuminates the sky. Are we like the shepherds, keeping watch?

No comments: